Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered User

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Default hedge for hen-run

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and 6 feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions gratefully received.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Mike

--
gillylal

Doesn't really matter what you use. The choice is yours, but don't forget to
put the wire mesh in first, because a hedge alone will not be sufficient. I
would suggest a strong plastic coated chain link to start with. It will slow
the foxes down a bit, not a lot, but a bit :-))

We had chickens and the foxes got in. It was only because the hole to the
hen hose was too small for the fox to get in, that stopped it wiping the lot
out.

And don't forget chickens can clear a 6 ft hedge/wall/fence. We had our
chickens in the orchard and many a time they were roosting in the branches.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and
6 feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite
fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions
gratefully received.

--
gillylal

I presume the hedge is for cosmetic reasons and you are not seriously
expecting hens to be kept in by one :~)
The denseness of hedges near the ground is largely due to the correct shape
and cutting rather than actual species. I would avoid Yew and Cherry laurel
as they are a bit poisonous and hens eat everything.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2005, 01:44 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and
6 feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite
fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions
gratefully received.

--
gillylal

I presume the hedge is for cosmetic reasons and you are not seriously
expecting hens to be kept in by one :~)
The denseness of hedges near the ground is largely due to the correct

shape
and cutting rather than actual species. I would avoid Yew and Cherry

laurel
as they are a bit poisonous and hens eat everything.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Further to the reply, do not expect any hedge to keep out predators. Hens
need to be protected by either strong fencing or, better still, electrified
poultry netting.
--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 12-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Cumberpach

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and 6
feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite
fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions
gratefully received.

My brother built a willow 'fedge' dunno whether willow is poisonous.Quick
google shows as follows. Not cheap cheep.
http://www.simplywillow.co.uk/willow4/page3.html

Pete

Old 14-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered User

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Thanks very much, everyone - good advice and ideas.

- Gilly
Old 14-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Cumberpach

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up
and 6
feet tall.

My brother built a willow 'fedge' dunno whether willow is poisonous.

Hens can easily push through a 4" gap at ground level, so no hedge
will keep them in..In any case, if you enclose hens, it's better to use
wire and posts which can be moved to a clean area of grass and herbage
after the run has been henpecked down to smelly mud.

As a p.s. to the above. My neighbour has an allotment split into 2 runs,
surrounded by a 6 foot high wire fence. One half contains large 'Moran'
hens. These hens never attempt to fly out, probably too heavy. In the next
run are the smaller bantams (not sure which variety) and a couple of these
are always flying out.
Might be worth noting, at chicken choosing time.

Old 18-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Cumberpach

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote in message
"Cumberpach" wrote in message
As a p.s. to the above. My neighbour has an allotment split into 2
runs, surrounded by a 6 foot high wire fence. One half contains large
'Moran' hens.

Maran ;-)

Oops, Molly you are right, it's Maran http://tinyurl.com/aygx5
hens and the eggs are as dark as those in the pic.

Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Gardening 23 09-02-2011 04:05 PM
Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Edible Gardening 33 11-06-2009 03:51 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
mower not run in 2 yrs John Lawns 4 24-04-2003 04:32 AM
Homelite HB100 leaf blower won't run sjohnsen Lawns 2 06-12-2002 07:46 AM