Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and
6 feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite
fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions
gratefully received.

--
gillylal

I presume the hedge is for cosmetic reasons and you are not seriously
expecting hens to be kept in by one :~)
The denseness of hedges near the ground is largely due to the correct shape
and cutting rather than actual species. I would avoid Yew and Cherry laurel
as they are a bit poisonous and hens eat everything.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk