Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
CK

Hi Sally and Phil,

I had used ring culture last year and inserted inverted plastic bottles with
bottom cut off in the growbags. I used those bottles in soil too as I would
like to keep the top inch of soil dry to discourage weeds, slugs and snails.

There are several reasons that I am interested in grow pots. Firstly the
same reason as Sally as they can hold much more water, 4 pints. It is a bit
difficult to hold an inverted bottom with this volume firmly in my windy
garden (I only got a 6' x 8' greenhouse, not enough for all tomato plants).

Another reason is not for tomato but for courgette. We had lost a number of
plants at the beginning of the season due to the growing point of plants
being eaten. Then, as we usually have a holiday away for over 2 weeks in
the summer, we usually have the problem of powdery mildew when we come back.
Finally, it seems that slugs and snails like young courgettes. (I have also
considered slug and snail shokka mat which is also an expensive stuff.) So I
think using grow pots may help to solve or ease the problems.

This year, my parents-in-law need to give up growing their tomato as the
health situation. I am considering giving them some bushy tomatoes in grow
pots on grow bags. So there is no need of pruning, no need to water several
times a day.

It is the third year I have home grown vegetables so still a lot of trial
and error. Sally, your finding is cheaper than mine. I will have a look in
the website and see whether I can find other stuff useful so I will not
waste the money. Thank you.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth