Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 AM
h2yoho h2yoho is offline
Registered User

Smile

Thanks guys. I will direct my friend to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole
It is almost certainly Lonicera tatarica. The var. 'Hack's Red' has
deeper coloured flowers and possibly more acute tips to the leaves.
However this is the straight species, which can have leaf tips that
are almost pointed to rounded as well as flowers that vary
considerably in their depth of colouration (possibly an indication of
hybridisation in the distant past) .

Its pleasant enough thing and thankfully not invasive in this country.
I wouldn't buy it, but if it was already here, I wouldn't be in a
tremendous hurry to get rid of it either. It can be moderately showy
when carrying its clusters of bright red berries and the birds seem to
appreciate it. Expect it to grow up to around 7 feet high and nearly
as much across if you leave it to itself. If you don't, it will cope
with almost merciless butchery and still romp back from the roots. but
may take a year to settle back down to flowering.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November