Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Pete-Paphraguy

Thanks, Ray! I'm glad you joined. There are many other sources out there
where people can go and learn and still stick with the newsgroups. I still
use the newgroups myself every now and then.

Pete

"Ray" wrote in message
Eric,

I mostly agree with your first paragraph, but if you don't occasionally
decide to take a look at new sites, you may be missing something
worthwhile.

Yes, I also agree with you and Reka that Pete has been overdoing it on the
"come on down" aspect, but having checked out the forum myself (at the
recommendation of some folks at a recent speaking engagement), and later
joining - and being an enthusiastic guy, myself - I don't let it get to me
as it apparently has you. (Something inside of me makes me think this is
nothing more than "youthful" enthusiasm, but as I don't know Pete's age, I
can't say for sure.)

I believe Pete has put together a nice forum there, and over time as more
folks participate, it will likely become a very valuable resource for
slipper fans.

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Pete,

I am sure the orchid community appreciates the work you are putting into
your site, but the methods you are using to publicize it aren't very
effective.

In today's media and advertising saturated world, a lot of people (like
myself) completely tune out any "come over here!" messages unless the
participant is also regularly contributing to the community they are
posting the notices in.

A better way to advertise is to post photos in the photos group, answer
questions in the discussion group, post interesting tidbits of info in
each, and just put your Slipper Orchid Forum in your signature. If you
add a lot of content to your site, periodic updates giving a short blurb
about what you have added go a lot farther in driving traffic than the
rather generic messages you seem to post.

Enthusiasm is great, but it can often come across as sheer
self-promotion, which then makes people suspicious of your motives.

Good luck.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"Paphraguy" wrote in message

Some of you have emailed and asked me about my Slipper Orchid Forum, so
here is the link again:

http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

When you register please use a valid email account and if you have spam
blocker on, please turn it off, you can always turn it back on once you
receive the activation email.

Thanks and have a great day!

Pete
The Slipper Orchid Forum