Old 11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Location: USA
Thumbs up Slipper Orchid Forum

Some of you have emailed and asked me about my Slipper Orchid Forum, so here is the link again:

http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

When you register please use a valid email account and if you have spam blocker on, please turn it off, you can always turn it back on once you receive the activation email.

Thanks and have a great day!

Pete
The Slipper Orchid Forum
Old 12-04-2005, 04:07 AM
Eric Hunt

Pete,

I am sure the orchid community appreciates the work you are putting into
your site, but the methods you are using to publicize it aren't very
effective.

In today's media and advertising saturated world, a lot of people (like
myself) completely tune out any "come over here!" messages unless the
participant is also regularly contributing to the community they are posting
the notices in.

A better way to advertise is to post photos in the photos group, answer
questions in the discussion group, post interesting tidbits of info in each,
and just put your Slipper Orchid Forum in your signature. If you add a lot
of content to your site, periodic updates giving a short blurb about what
you have added go a lot farther in driving traffic than the rather generic
messages you seem to post.

Enthusiasm is great, but it can often come across as sheer self-promotion,
which then makes people suspicious of your motives.

Good luck.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

--
Paphraguy

Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Reka

Paphraguy wrote:
Some of you have emailed and asked me about my Slipper Orchid Forum, so
here is the link again:

http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

When you register please use a valid email account and if you have spam
blocker on, please turn it off, you can always turn it back on once you
receive the activation email.

Thanks and have a great day!

Pete
The Slipper Orchid Forum

Nah, Paphraguy! You don't want any of those who e-mailed you to get the
link. They must be *really* stupid if they haven't seen it twenty-five
times already.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Ray

Eric,

I mostly agree with your first paragraph, but if you don't occasionally
decide to take a look at new sites, you may be missing something worthwhile.

Yes, I also agree with you and Reka that Pete has been overdoing it on the
"come on down" aspect, but having checked out the forum myself (at the
recommendation of some folks at a recent speaking engagement), and later
joining - and being an enthusiastic guy, myself - I don't let it get to me
as it apparently has you. (Something inside of me makes me think this is
nothing more than "youthful" enthusiasm, but as I don't know Pete's age, I
can't say for sure.)

I believe Pete has put together a nice forum there, and over time as more
folks participate, it will likely become a very valuable resource for
slipper fans.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hunt

"Paphraguy" wrote in message

Some of you have emailed and asked me about my Slipper Orchid Forum, so
here is the link again:

http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

When you register please use a valid email account and if you have spam
blocker on, please turn it off, you can always turn it back on once you
receive the activation email.

Thanks and have a great day!

Pete
The Slipper Orchid Forum

--
Paphraguy
Eric, I have posted plenty of pictures and answered plenty of posts on the two orchid newsgroups. Thanks for your reply and have a great day!

Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Pete-Paphraguy

Eric, I have posted pics and still post comments on the two newgroups for
many years and obviously you have missed them because you never commented on
any of my pics.

Thanks for the reply and have a great day!

Pete

Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Pete-Paphraguy

Thanks, Ray! I'm glad you joined. There are many other sources out there
where people can go and learn and still stick with the newsgroups. I still
use the newgroups myself every now and then.

Pete

Old 12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Pete-Paphraguy

"Reka" wrote in message

Nah, Paphraguy! You don't want any of those who e-mailed you to get the
link. They must be *really* stupid if they haven't seen it twenty-five
times already.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Oh I forgot, one more thing 25 times is not enough so here is the link
again! LOL! http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

Have a good one!

Pete
THE SLIPPER ORCHID FORUM

Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts

Personally, I find the Slipper Orchid Forum to be the most useful to me, since it focuses primarily on what I grow and I don't have to wade through a lot of information that is of no use to me. Or deal with all the petty sarcastic remarks that seem to often be rampant at other forums.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Al

Give it time. There will be sarcastic remarks in the other forum we both
use too. It would be hard, for me anyway, to save them for this one only.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Pete-Paphraguy

Al,

Unlike the newsgroups, the forum is not a public forum and any sarcastic or
rude remarks will not be tolerated. Thanks for joining! Your advice has
been most helpful on the forum.

Pete
THE SLIPPER ORCHID FORUM

Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Al

I knew I shouldn't have said anything. In a public forum self-censorship
.....and the ability use mental filters to block out what we don't like....
is what keeps the peace. When I accidentally came across what felt to me to
be a petty and sarcastic remark about the petty and sarcastic remarks in
this forum, it was up to me alone to hold my tongue. Obviously I failed.
It looks to me, from your responses in this thread, that you are very good
at overlooking the rudeness of others. I am glad I will have you in that
other form to help me out when I can not do it alone. ;-)

I like this forum. It is a good forum. I have bizarre illogical protective
feelings for it, especially considering it is a public forum and often
becomes sewer-like when points of view clash. I like yours too. I
especially like the ability to go back to a post and correct mistakes. That
'edit' feature is worth gold.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure I am the only one here who feels protective
enough of this forum to say anything if I felt, for some reason I could not
quite put my hands on, that it was being slighted, even accidentally or
unintentionally, in some way. Even though I appear to be speaking to you
alone, I might actually have a different audience in mind. I am pretty sure
you did not mean to slight this forum by publicizing you own. I mean, isn't
that what this forum is for? And as you point out, this is a public forum
and there is nobody to stop you if they felt that you were somehow slighting
their love child by regularly publicizing your own, in "their" perfectly
good orchid forum? If it were up to me, I would say post a link to it
everyday. I suppose some would say it is good that it is NOT up to me.
This is why I would never have a forum of my own. I couldn't take the
pressure.

Never the less at this time, I am sorry if my protective feelings here were
aroused beyond my ability to stifle myself. I will try to do better in the
future, but I will probably fail. I almost always do.

Al, "Tin Member"

Old 13-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts

Too true, Al, too true...
and yes, I am completely guilty for not holding my tongue and contributing my sarcasm to the murky pool. Actually, I love sarcasm. It's more the pettiness I dislike.

It just seems to me, if you dislike something, well, if you can't say anything nice, maybe it is best just to not say anything at all...I love Bambi, don't you?

~Paphgirl, heading back to her favorite Slipper Orchid Forum

(ps, see ya around Al, glad you are!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Old 13-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
Too true, Al, too true...
and yes, I am completely guilty for not holding my tongue and contributing my sarcasm to the murky pool. Actually, I love sarcasm. It's more the pettiness I dislike.

It just seems to me, if you dislike something, well, if you can't say anything nice, maybe it is best just to not say anything at all...I love Bambi, don't you?

~Paphgirl, heading back to her favorite Slipper Orchid Forum

(ps, see ya around Al, glad you are!)
BTW, none of that should be regarded as sarcasm, I'm being on the level.