Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

First of all it's "their grass" - "they're" is a contraction of "they are"
and if your neighbours are made of grass, then it's time to stop smoking
whatever it is you're smoking! ;o) (probably, erm, grass!) ;o)

The larvae of the crane fly (daddy-long-legs) are known as leatherjackets
and, once you see the adults appearing, you're too late to begin any form of
treatment, which should be done in the autumn (around September time) when
the eggs are laid.

If you have pets/children, or just don't care to use chemicals, there is a
nematode worm (Steinernema Feltiae) which burrows into the eggs and will
kill the emerging larvae from the inside once they hatch.

How good these nematodes are, I couldn't say, as our lawn has never suffered
from leatherjacket infestation, but some swear by them (and I'm sure others
just swear at them!)

The nematodes can be purchased from Harrod Horticultural
(
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...ol/GPC-285.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/5guvd if the above wraps). It's £19.95, but it does
not state what area of lawn it will treat.

You can treat now, but you'll have to be quick about it, as the adults will
already be emerging, and you will need to double the strength of the
treatment.

To answer, your last point, the grass isn't ruined, but you may need to
reseed any bare or brown patches. Or, if you don't want to wait for a
pristine lawn, cut out the dead bit, buy some turf and cut to size.