Old 12-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Daddy long legs/maggot investation - killing grass

Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

First of all it's "their grass" - "they're" is a contraction of "they are"
and if your neighbours are made of grass, then it's time to stop smoking
whatever it is you're smoking! ;o) (probably, erm, grass!) ;o)

The larvae of the crane fly (daddy-long-legs) are known as leatherjackets
and, once you see the adults appearing, you're too late to begin any form of
treatment, which should be done in the autumn (around September time) when
the eggs are laid.

If you have pets/children, or just don't care to use chemicals, there is a
nematode worm (Steinernema Feltiae) which burrows into the eggs and will
kill the emerging larvae from the inside once they hatch.

How good these nematodes are, I couldn't say, as our lawn has never suffered
from leatherjacket infestation, but some swear by them (and I'm sure others
just swear at them!)

The nematodes can be purchased from Harrod Horticultural
(
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...ol/GPC-285.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/5guvd if the above wraps). It's £19.95, but it does
not state what area of lawn it will treat.

You can treat now, but you'll have to be quick about it, as the adults will
already be emerging, and you will need to double the strength of the
treatment.

To answer, your last point, the grass isn't ruined, but you may need to
reseed any bare or brown patches. Or, if you don't want to wait for a
pristine lawn, cut out the dead bit, buy some turf and cut to size.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Des Higgins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

Hi BertieBigNuts:

they are "leather jackets" which are doing the damage which are indeed the
larvae (caterpillars) of crane flies/daddy long legs. They larvae are
something like an inch long and thick and caterpillar like and cream
coloured. They get laid in lawns by the adults. I have no idea how to get
rid of them other than consider alternatives to lawn or maybe letting the
lawn go wild and organic and wild-flowerish (takes nerve and patience to do
well). I hate using insecticides as it really kills lots of nice insects
(ones that are either beneficial like ladybirds or bees or simply pretty
like bumblebees) as well and removes food for the birds and hedgehogs etc.
which would otherwise be attracted to yer garden to help control theh
onslaught. If you relay the lwan, I presume it will get done in again in due
course.

Des

Old 13-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Higgins
[...]

http://www.greenworm.co.uk/images/leatherjacket.jpg

I have the same problem and as described above Parasitic Nematodes seem to be the preferred method of controlling daddy long legs and their lavae, however for the time being I am going to try the Black plastic method by watering and covering as much ground as i can manage with black plastic and then get up early and hand pick them off the grass.
Heres some more info I leeched.

Identification

1. Is your turf developing bare spots or thin spots in March, April or May?
2. Do you see the insects commonly known as "Daddy Long Legs", flying near your turf or gathering on walls?
3. Do you see maggots in your turf that are leathery and grey/brown?

If you have seen these symptoms or insects, the European crane fly is probably living in your turf. These pests can appear in grass which has otherwise been free of them.

General Information

The European crane fly, or leather jacket, is an insect that can damage your turf. All insects have several life stages, and they can look very different. For example, the leather jacket is a maggot at one time during the year and a flying insect ("Daddy Long Legs") at another.

As you start to mow your lawn in the spring (March-April), the maggots of the crane fly are feeding on your turf. In general, they stay underground in the day and move up to the turf leaves in the night. They are very sensitive to drying, and do not survive if they are dried out when heated up by the sun. On very cloudy days when the turf is wet, you can see the larvae in the turf. They are about 25mm long and have a grey/brown leathery skin.

They will feed on your turf for several months (March-June) and then migrate into the ground, where they change into a crane fly. The crane flies emerge from the turf and fly about, sometimes gathering in groups on walls near the turf. In fact, they are laying eggs to produce more crane flies. Because the crane fly maggots feed on your turf roots, they can weaken the turf, causing it to grow poorly, thin out, and even die, leaving bare spots.

How do you determine if you have a serious problem with leather jackets?

If your grass is growing poorly or thinning in small patches during the months of March-May, there is a problem with your turf. Check those areas early in the morning when the grass is wet for the presence of the leathery, brown maggots.

Be aware that there are insects other than leather jackets that will damage your turf

If you have a leather jacket problem in your turf, when should you try to control the insects?

The time to control the insects is when they are maggots, not flies. When you see them on the walls or flying about, it is generally ineffective to kill them with insect spray. However, if they do bother you, kill them. Your turf will not be relieved, but you might be! Therefore, when you see damage, and you have identified larvae feeding on your turf in the night or early morning, you should try and control them.

How do you control leather-jackets in your turf?

1. Water your lawn lightly in the evening. Cover it with black polythene sheeting. Bin liners are fine. The larvae will be attracted to the wet, dark surface and won't be aware of the dawn. In the early morning, remove the black polythene sheet. Many of the larvae will be caught on the surface. You can let the birds do the removal job for you or rake them off.

2. Or go to the opposite extreme. When the maggots are feeding in your turf, water your turf less. The turf can be dried out quite a bit before it will suffer, but the maggots need to be wet to survive.

3. Check with a turf expert and see if biological agents are available for controlling the leather-jackets. The agents are parasitic nematodes (very tiny wormlike animals) that attack and kill the leather jacket maggots. Through research, these agents are becoming more effective and available.

Can you use an insecticide to control the leather jackets?

Insecticides may be available for the control of leatherjackets. Before purchasing or using insecticides make sure the insects you want to control are identified by an expert. Be careful when you use them around your home. We recommend that you obtain advice about chemical and non-chemical products directly from the manufacturers.

Remember: The leather jacket can damage your turf, and you will see the damage in the spring. Proper lawn care and controlling these insects will give you a beautiful lawn.
Old 13-04-2005, 02:16 PM

Right. So my lawn isn't totally screwed then. The way my neighbour was
going on was as if once your lawn got 'infected' you were screwed and
the whole lot would soon be doomed. He also seemed to think that there
was no treatment for it at all.

Trouble is the maggots seem to be brownish rather than cream coloured
???

Old 13-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Right. So my lawn isn't totally screwed then. The way my neighbour was
going on was as if once your lawn got 'infected' you were screwed and
the whole lot would soon be doomed. He also seemed to think that there
was no treatment for it at all.

Trouble is the maggots seem to be brownish rather than cream coloured
???
Thats them BBB
Old 14-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Talking

Well I ordered my Parasetic Nematodes today, I spoke with our local agriculture n fisheries, he said that you can still kill the leatherjackets now but the ideal time to apply the nematodes is in August/Sept as the dady's are mating and laying their eggs, so i'll give it a shot, there should have taken effect within two weeks of application.
If i dont see any improvement in the grass then i'll get the bugga's in august.
i'll be back.
Old 14-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Mike

On this great day..Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:44:00 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

snipped

So what are the creamy coloured critters in my garden? - they have an orange
head and are quite ugly,

/snipped

Sounds like they are Chafer grubs .........

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email

Old 14-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: On this great day..Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:44:00 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
:: snipped
:::
::: So what are the creamy coloured critters in my garden? - they
::: have an orange head and are quite ugly,
:: /snipped
::
:: Sounds like they are Chafer grubs .........

Yep, them's the buggers! I've just done an image search and these are quite
common in my front garden along with leatherjackets, can't say I've noticed
any damage to the lawn though.
I always chuck 'em to the birds when I find 'em...we do have a lot of birds
in the garden almost all year round due to me putting fat balls on the tree
now and again, I suppose the birds are keeping them down to minimal levels
for me do they attack bedding plants or any other type of roots? - I
can't say I've noticed anything in the past but I don't want to lose any
this year as I've grown most of them myself from last years seeds.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 14-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Mike

On this great day..Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:00:27 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Mike wrote:
:: On this great day..Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:44:00 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
:: snipped
:::
[...]

Predominatly found under turf ..... but you could have a wee dig in your
soil to see if they are lurking under there. They feed on grass roots as
this where they started life.
They are nibbling now, but by late spring they will be doing more damage
as they will be bigger.

Old 15-04-2005, 07:03 AM
les

Predominatly found under turf ..... but you could have a wee dig in your
soil to see if they are lurking under there. They feed on grass roots as
this where they started life.
They are nibbling now, but by late spring they will be doing more damage
as they will be bigger.

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email

Is there a pesticide which can be applied to the lawn to kill off these
grubs/maggots?

Les

Old 15-04-2005, 11:15 AM
paulfoel

OK. So my neighbour has had problems and I've seen some in my garden.
I've also seen lots of holes in the ground... In terms of patchy grass,
its never been great anyway and has always been a bit patchy.

So, at what point are they going to become a problem? I don;t want to
waste =A320+ if they arent going to be a big problem.... Also, will the
nemotoid thing work at this time of the year? Or do I just need to
leabe it for this summer and treat the lawn in the autumn ?