Old 12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Des Higgins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

Hi BertieBigNuts:

they are "leather jackets" which are doing the damage which are indeed the
larvae (caterpillars) of crane flies/daddy long legs. They larvae are
something like an inch long and thick and caterpillar like and cream
coloured. They get laid in lawns by the adults. I have no idea how to get
rid of them other than consider alternatives to lawn or maybe letting the
lawn go wild and organic and wild-flowerish (takes nerve and patience to do
well). I hate using insecticides as it really kills lots of nice insects
(ones that are either beneficial like ladybirds or bees or simply pretty
like bumblebees) as well and removes food for the birds and hedgehogs etc.
which would otherwise be attracted to yer garden to help control theh
onslaught. If you relay the lwan, I presume it will get done in again in due
course.

Des