Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Des Higgins

"Garfield" wrote in message

Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North Wales,
with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140 feet long and
30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to try to land on it
as a runway!!)

One quick question, need some advice on something i have found growing
in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below, one is a small
picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger pic (2mb) so click on
the one your connection can handle. Any help appreciated

They are the fertile shoots of Horsetail (Equisetum .... arvense I think but
cannot remember).
It is a very invasive plant in the right conditions. The roots (or
rhizosomethingorothers) can grow a LONG way (I had some when I lived in
Germany that were from a neighbours garden in Russia (Eastern Russia!)) and
you have to be very persistent with glyphosphate to get rid of it if you use
weedkiller (someone here on this newsgroup used to recommend a mixture of
wallpaper paste powder and glyphosphate solution pasted on). If you try
digging it out you get a short term gremlin effect where they seem to get
stronger and stronger the more you dig them out until you give in and end up
with 10 times as many as when you started. It has survived since the
carboniferous so it is a survivor.

http://tinyurl.com/674c2

|Filename: wierd2.JPE |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2783|