Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Default Hey there

Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North Wales, with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140 feet long and 30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to try to land on it as a runway!!)

One quick question, need some advice on something i have found growing in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below, one is a small picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger pic (2mb) so click on the one your connection can handle. Any help appreciated

http://www.angleseyfirstresponse.co....UCH/wierd1.JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Hey there-wierd2.jpe
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Garfield" wrote in message

Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North Wales,
with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140 feet long and
30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to try to land on it
as a runway!!)

One quick question, need some advice on something i have found growing
in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below, one is a small
picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger pic (2mb) so click on
the one your connection can handle. Any help appreciated

Some kind of mares tail?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"w.g.s.hamm" writes:
| "Garfield" wrote in message
|
| One quick question, need some advice on something i have found growing
| in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below, one is a small
| picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger pic (2mb) so click on
| the one your connection can handle. Any help appreciated
|
| Some kind of mares tail?

It's an Invader From Times Before Man Existed, and you had better
start running for the hills - as in all the worst B movies of the
1950s.

Try Dutch rush - indeed a kind of mares tail.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Phil L

Garfield wrote:
:: Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North
:: Wales, with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140
:: feet long and 30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to
:: try to land on it as a runway!!)
::
::
:: One quick question, need some advice on something i have found
:: growing in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below,
:: one is a small picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger
:: pic (2mb) so click on the one your connection can handle. Any help
:: appreciated

It's mare's tail, sometimes known as horsetail, either way they are a bugger
to get rid of, thie roots are like black thin string and every piece you
leave in becomes another plant...may not be a problem except thier roots can
be twenty feet long.

the tops are edible and are high in minerals.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Des Higgins

"Garfield" wrote in message

Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North Wales,
with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140 feet long and
30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to try to land on it
as a runway!!)

One quick question, need some advice on something i have found growing
in the garden not sure what it is, the two links below, one is a small
picture of it (15k) and the one below is a larger pic (2mb) so click on
the one your connection can handle. Any help appreciated

They are the fertile shoots of Horsetail (Equisetum .... arvense I think but
cannot remember).
It is a very invasive plant in the right conditions. The roots (or
rhizosomethingorothers) can grow a LONG way (I had some when I lived in
Germany that were from a neighbours garden in Russia (Eastern Russia!)) and
you have to be very persistent with glyphosphate to get rid of it if you use
weedkiller (someone here on this newsgroup used to recommend a mixture of
wallpaper paste powder and glyphosphate solution pasted on). If you try
digging it out you get a short term gremlin effect where they seem to get
stronger and stronger the more you dig them out until you give in and end up
with 10 times as many as when you started. It has survived since the
carboniferous so it is a survivor.

http://tinyurl.com/674c2

|Filename: wierd2.JPE |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2783|

Garfield

Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Mike

"Garfield" wrote in message

Hi from Garfield, new to the forum, living on Anglesey in North Wales,
with a garden that needs some TLC and a lot of help 140 feet long and
30 feet wide lol (am just waiting for an aircraft to try to land on it
as a runway!!)

My wife thought that the Lancaster Bomber of the Historic Flight was going
to land in the garden last year. We had a big Air Display at Sandown
Airport, 5 Spitfires, (I didn't know that there were that many flying, only
to be told that there are thirteen airworthy), a couple of Hurricanes a
Dakota plus many more, with a fly past of the Lanc. Its flight over the
airfield was such that its circuit to get back was over our house!! Low low
level :-))

After it had gone over, she rang me up at the airfield and just said
"wooooooooowwwww"

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 13-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike

My wife thought that the Lancaster Bomber of the Historic Flight was going
to land in the garden last year. We had a big Air Display at Sandown
Airport, 5 Spitfires, (I didn't know that there were that many flying, only
to be told that there are thirteen airworthy), a couple of Hurricanes a
Dakota plus many more, with a fly past of the Lanc. Its flight over the
airfield was such that its circuit to get back was over our house!! Low low
level :-))

After it had gone over, she rang me up at the airfield and just said
"wooooooooowwwww"

Mike

Thanks for the feedback, thankfully the things are in a small area that is going to be cemented over, so thats a relief

Hey Mike, I used to live in RAF Coningsby with the Lancaster, used to fly over the top of my house every morning at 8am, god those engines were a beautiful sound!! never mind the windows, I was shook outta bed lol
Old 13-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Mike

Hey Mike, I used to live in RAF Coningsby with the Lancaster, used to
fly over the top of my house every morning at 8am, god those engines
were a beautiful sound!! never mind the windows, I was shook outta bed
lol

The first time I saw the complete Historic Flight do a display was at a
Chatham Navy Days where I had a Stand. I videoed the complete display,
including the Lancaster at low level with the Bomb Bay Doors open. When I
played it back at home, yes the windows rattled!!

Brings the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because I remember them
flying over going out on Bombing Raids during the War :-(( Like hearing the
Air Raid sirens and the Doodle Bugs at the Eden Camp in Yorkshire
:-(( A place to visit

Mike

Old 13-04-2005, 03:02 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Garfield" wrote in message

Mike Wrote:

[...]

My 2nd husband was based at Brize norton and our married quarters were
practically at the end of one of the runways. On nights when they practised
'circuits and bumps' it was a wonder we slept at all. I actually liked it as
I like planes however now I have my poultry and parrots I am not happy to
see them low over my property. Last year to low flying helicopters (less
than 100 feet!) came right over my property and managed to cause the death
of one of my parrots who smashed into the wire in terror and broke his
neack, leaving behind his mate (they mate for life). I was more than a
little miffed and although they copmpensated me for the parrot it didn't
compensate me for the upset of finding one of my beloved birds dead and
seeing his mate slowly starve herself through mourning. I eventually found
her a new mate but dread them coming over fast and low like that again.

Old 14-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Duncan

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote in message

"Garfield" wrote in message

Mike Wrote:

[...]

We have the Sunderland Air Show to put up with, which at least is only one
weekend. The Lancaster and Hurricane were a very welcome sight over my house
too, but the vertical climbs by F16's really put the wind up the children
and animals.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Mike

but the vertical climbs by F16's really put the wind up the children
and animals.

I have had a stand at the International Festival of the Sea at Portsmouth on
two occasions and I am there with a stand in June/July. A Royal Navy Jet
comes in low across Portsmouth Harbour from the back near Portchester and
when it gets to the Dockyard it lifts vertical and flies into the sun. The
noise is deafening and when it first happened, children around the stand
screamed. After that I went out when it was due to appear again and warned
parents.

If you are coming to the International Festival of the Sea this year, WITH
CHILDREN, please be warned. It will be in the programme when it is due to
happen, please please please take note. It is a horrendous row, a full blast
of a fighter Jet at zero altitude. Spectacular, but bloody ear deafening.

Come and visit the "RN Shipmates" Stand and have a sit down ;-))

Mike

Hey there! ggt_10 Gardening 3 09-09-2010 02:16 AM
is there anyone out there? madgardener Gardening 3 06-07-2004 07:02 PM
Is there anyone there? John Flax United Kingdom 25 30-11-2003 11:43 AM
There HAS to be a twelve step program out there.................. madgardener Gardening 15 06-11-2003 03:02 PM
help, is there anybody out there! dennis Gardening 1 27-03-2003 01:44 AM