Old 13-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Wayne C. Morris

In article 425BFF22.13803.219962F@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

In article 425BD740.6334.17DC4EC@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

In article 425A8FEF.20130.63250A@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

Why? Compost tea uses a good deal of heat (in addition to the
heat generated in the making of good garden-type compost) in the
process of making it. It should be free of pathogens as a
result.

Compost tea is made using *unheated* water, according to all the
instructions I've seen. It may get warm sitting in the sun, but
nowhere near enough to kill any pathogens.

Well, around here you don't want to hold the bottle for any length
of time after it's been in full sun all day.

If you're referring to the smell, the instructions I found say that
you shouldn't use it if it smells bad; it should smell sweet & earthy.
Using aquarium equipment to keep it aerated supposedly inhibits the
growth of the anaerobic bugs that cause bad smells.

No. The bottle -- assuming it is clear glass -- gets hot!

Ah. Well, the instructions I've seen say to use a 2- to 5-gallon bucket or
garbage pail, and the ones with photos show white plastic buckets. Even a
black plastic bucket wouldn't get that hot just sitting in the sun.