Old 13-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Parsley Parsley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Higgins
oups.com...
Hi,

Both my neighbours lawns have been ruined by what they say is Daddy
Long legs infestation. Apparently, loads of maggots/grubs started
appearing, and then there were loads of small holes in the lawn and
slowly they're grass was eaten away and ruined. In the end, both
neighbours have had to totally re-lay new lawns.

I've noticed some maggots around on my garden and also some holes.

Anybody got any info on this? Can I do anything about it? Or is my
grass ruined?

Hi BertieBigNuts:

they are "leather jackets" which are doing the damage which are indeed the
larvae (caterpillars) of crane flies/daddy long legs. They larvae are
something like an inch long and thick and caterpillar like and cream
coloured. They get laid in lawns by the adults. I have no idea how to get
rid of them other than consider alternatives to lawn or maybe letting the
lawn go wild and organic and wild-flowerish (takes nerve and patience to do
well). I hate using insecticides as it really kills lots of nice insects
(ones that are either beneficial like ladybirds or bees or simply pretty
like bumblebees) as well and removes food for the birds and hedgehogs etc.
which would otherwise be attracted to yer garden to help control theh
onslaught. If you relay the lwan, I presume it will get done in again in due
course.

Des

http://www.greenworm.co.uk/images/leatherjacket.jpg

I have the same problem and as described above Parasitic Nematodes seem to be the preferred method of controlling daddy long legs and their lavae, however for the time being I am going to try the Black plastic method by watering and covering as much ground as i can manage with black plastic and then get up early and hand pick them off the grass.
Heres some more info I leeched.

Identification

1. Is your turf developing bare spots or thin spots in March, April or May?
2. Do you see the insects commonly known as "Daddy Long Legs", flying near your turf or gathering on walls?
3. Do you see maggots in your turf that are leathery and grey/brown?

If you have seen these symptoms or insects, the European crane fly is probably living in your turf. These pests can appear in grass which has otherwise been free of them.

General Information

The European crane fly, or leather jacket, is an insect that can damage your turf. All insects have several life stages, and they can look very different. For example, the leather jacket is a maggot at one time during the year and a flying insect ("Daddy Long Legs") at another.

As you start to mow your lawn in the spring (March-April), the maggots of the crane fly are feeding on your turf. In general, they stay underground in the day and move up to the turf leaves in the night. They are very sensitive to drying, and do not survive if they are dried out when heated up by the sun. On very cloudy days when the turf is wet, you can see the larvae in the turf. They are about 25mm long and have a grey/brown leathery skin.

They will feed on your turf for several months (March-June) and then migrate into the ground, where they change into a crane fly. The crane flies emerge from the turf and fly about, sometimes gathering in groups on walls near the turf. In fact, they are laying eggs to produce more crane flies. Because the crane fly maggots feed on your turf roots, they can weaken the turf, causing it to grow poorly, thin out, and even die, leaving bare spots.

How do you determine if you have a serious problem with leather jackets?

If your grass is growing poorly or thinning in small patches during the months of March-May, there is a problem with your turf. Check those areas early in the morning when the grass is wet for the presence of the leathery, brown maggots.

Be aware that there are insects other than leather jackets that will damage your turf

If you have a leather jacket problem in your turf, when should you try to control the insects?

The time to control the insects is when they are maggots, not flies. When you see them on the walls or flying about, it is generally ineffective to kill them with insect spray. However, if they do bother you, kill them. Your turf will not be relieved, but you might be! Therefore, when you see damage, and you have identified larvae feeding on your turf in the night or early morning, you should try and control them.

How do you control leather-jackets in your turf?

1. Water your lawn lightly in the evening. Cover it with black polythene sheeting. Bin liners are fine. The larvae will be attracted to the wet, dark surface and won't be aware of the dawn. In the early morning, remove the black polythene sheet. Many of the larvae will be caught on the surface. You can let the birds do the removal job for you or rake them off.

2. Or go to the opposite extreme. When the maggots are feeding in your turf, water your turf less. The turf can be dried out quite a bit before it will suffer, but the maggots need to be wet to survive.

3. Check with a turf expert and see if biological agents are available for controlling the leather-jackets. The agents are parasitic nematodes (very tiny wormlike animals) that attack and kill the leather jacket maggots. Through research, these agents are becoming more effective and available.

Can you use an insecticide to control the leather jackets?

Insecticides may be available for the control of leatherjackets. Before purchasing or using insecticides make sure the insects you want to control are identified by an expert. Be careful when you use them around your home. We recommend that you obtain advice about chemical and non-chemical products directly from the manufacturers.

Remember: The leather jacket can damage your turf, and you will see the damage in the spring. Proper lawn care and controlling these insects will give you a beautiful lawn.