Old 13-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

In early February thirty plants (cupressus macrocarpa "Gold Crest")
were bought (in pots) and planted the same day.

The plants in the front garden, however, are showing problems,
especially the one on the end, which is almost completely dead. The
others have brown areas on the branches that haven’t fallen off yet,
and the general impression is that they are all to a greater or lesser
extent rather sickly. These plants are open to the very severe winds
(strong as well as cold) that we have had to endure in the Fens since
Christmas.

What could be the problem and what can I do to improve the ones in the
front garden?

It'll be the wind. I think the mechanism is basically drought - the cold
dry winds drying out the leaves faster than the roots can supply them
with water. The brown bits won't recover. I would replace the one at the
end. The others don't look too bad, and if they survive (they may have
damage which hasn't yet revealed itself) will start looking good again.
It might be worth protecting them from the wind - put a temporary
barrier around the side (or sides) that the wind comes from - not too
dense (else you might get turbulence), but enough to break up the power
of the wind.

I had a similar problem getting an Araucaria established - I put a wind
break around it for the first two winters.
--
Kay