Old 13-04-2005, 08:05 PM
MM

Default Can someone diagnose my plant problem please?

Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

In early February thirty plants (cupressus macrocarpa "Gold Crest")
were bought (in pots) and planted the same day. The majority were
planted in the front garden (see Front Garden Views on the web page).
A few plants were left over and were planted in the back garden.
Compost was added when placing the root ball in the ground in each
case.

As you can see, the plants in the back garden are vivid green, healthy
and thriving. They are, however, considerably shielded from the wind.

The plants in the front garden, however, are showing problems,
especially the one on the end, which is almost completely dead. The
others have brown areas on the branches that haven’t fallen off yet,
and the general impression is that they are all to a greater or lesser
extent rather sickly. These plants are open to the very severe winds
(strong as well as cold) that we have had to endure in the Fens since
Christmas.

What could be the problem and what can I do to improve the ones in the
front garden?

Thanks.

MM
Old 13-04-2005, 08:31 PM
davek

As you can see, the plants in the back garden are vivid green, healthy
and thriving. They are, however, considerably shielded from the wind.
The plants in the front garden, however, are showing problems,

especially the one on the end, which is almost completely dead. The
others have brown areas on the branches that haven't fallen off yet,
and the general impression is that they are all to a greater or lesser
extent rather sickly. These plants are open to the very severe winds
(strong as well as cold) that we have had to endure in the Fens since
Christmas.

You already said it. That vicious easterly wind you get down there. We only
get the vicious south westerlies. (Wirral).
DaveK.

Old 13-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , davek davek@brentmere53
..fsnet.co.uk writes
As you can see, the plants in the back garden are vivid green, healthy
and thriving. They are, however, considerably shielded from the wind.
The plants in the front garden, however, are showing problems,

especially the one on the end, which is almost completely dead. The
others have brown areas on the branches that haven't fallen off yet,
and the general impression is that they are all to a greater or lesser
extent rather sickly. These plants are open to the very severe winds
(strong as well as cold) that we have had to endure in the Fens since
Christmas.

You already said it. That vicious easterly wind you get down there. We only
get the vicious south westerlies. (Wirral).
DaveK.

We planted a small row of leylandii next to a full boarded fence in
December and within a very short time were being buffeted badly in the
gale force winds which brought down a lot of branches round here, some
very large. I don't think they coped too well with that and almost
every one is now showing some dead branches or sections - I am hoping
that they will recover from this as they still seem mostly green and are
growing, I assume they will thicken out and the dead parts will either
regenerate to some extent or be hidden by the rest of the growth. I
just hope we don't get any more fierce winds for a good long while.

Lynda

Old 13-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

In early February thirty plants (cupressus macrocarpa "Gold Crest")
were bought (in pots) and planted the same day.

The plants in the front garden, however, are showing problems,
especially the one on the end, which is almost completely dead. The
others have brown areas on the branches that haven’t fallen off yet,
and the general impression is that they are all to a greater or lesser
extent rather sickly. These plants are open to the very severe winds
(strong as well as cold) that we have had to endure in the Fens since
Christmas.

What could be the problem and what can I do to improve the ones in the
front garden?

It'll be the wind. I think the mechanism is basically drought - the cold
dry winds drying out the leaves faster than the roots can supply them
with water. The brown bits won't recover. I would replace the one at the
end. The others don't look too bad, and if they survive (they may have
damage which hasn't yet revealed itself) will start looking good again.
It might be worth protecting them from the wind - put a temporary
barrier around the side (or sides) that the wind comes from - not too
dense (else you might get turbulence), but enough to break up the power
of the wind.

I had a similar problem getting an Araucaria established - I put a wind
break around it for the first two winters.
--
Kay

Old 13-04-2005, 09:50 PM
MM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:29:01 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , MM
writes
[...]

Good idea, Kay, but when I say 'severe wind', I mean gale force
sometimes. It has been blowing so stongly on some occasions that
anything loose in the garden just blows away. Wheelbarrows get
upturned, watering cans - metal ones - blown about. I wonder what kind
of windbreak would last more than a week before it was flattened.

MM

Old 13-04-2005, 09:53 PM
MM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:20:50 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

[...]

I read the diagnosis 'wind scorch' somewhere and that the 'branches'
should be sprayed with water to keep them moist. I say 'branches' in
quotes because the tiny plants are really like little babies at the
moment and the green bits are more like fronds than branches. I wonder
whether some Growmore might help?

MM
Old 13-04-2005, 10:05 PM
[H]omer

wrote:

I had a similar problem getting an Araucaria established - I put a wind
break around it for the first two winters.

Good idea, Kay, but when I say 'severe wind', I mean gale force
sometimes. It has been blowing so stongly on some occasions that
anything loose in the garden just blows away. Wheelbarrows get
upturned, watering cans - metal ones - blown about. I wonder what kind
of windbreak would last more than a week before it was flattened.

I hear you.

Sounds just like Cruden Bay; fully developed trees get uprooted every
other week here (though thankfully none of mine ... yet). As fast as I
build windbreaks, they are blown down. It's so depressing.

-
[H]omer
Old 13-04-2005, 10:25 PM
p.k.

MM wrote:
Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/
What could be the problem and what can I do to improve the ones in the
front garden?

Thanks.

MM

I partially agree with the other replies wrt wind scorch - but the hit and
miss effect on the front ones is confusing.

Looking at the soil texture shown in the photographs, the rear seems fine
and crumbly, the front looks decidely lumpy.

It's possible that the rootball on some of the fron ones is not in proper
contact with the surrounding soil and cannot therefore take up enought
water.

Either that or a dog had ****ed on the one on the corner!

pk

Old 13-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
wrote:

[...]

One which was not solid. I forgot to mention - but that's the other
reason for not having a solid windbreak. Upright stakes in the ground
with supple twigs woven in and out so that it breaks the wind but
doesn't stop it completely.

--
Kay

Old 13-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes

I read the diagnosis 'wind scorch' somewhere and that the 'branches'
should be sprayed with water to keep them moist. I say 'branches' in
quotes because the tiny plants are really like little babies at the
moment and the green bits are more like fronds than branches. I wonder
whether some Growmore might help?

No. Definitely not! Don't feed a sick plant.
Most fertilisers warn that you shouldn't use them on a plant which is
dry - if they're suffering from drought anyway (and that is what wind
scorch is), the fertiliser will actually do harm.
--
Kay

Old 14-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

In early February thirty plants (cupressus macrocarpa "Gold Crest")
were bought

What could be the problem

MM
the problem is that " Gold Crest " is not hardy...ie does not survive a british winter.....never did and never will.....at best it was an office foyer hotel reception type thing and should never have been put on the market as being hardy .

you hav nt done anythin wrong .
Old 14-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek

You already said it. That vicious easterly wind you get down there. We only
get the vicious south westerlies. (Wirral).
DaveK.
wirral here also dave
Old 14-04-2005, 05:11 PM
MM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:25:34 +0000 (UTC), "p.k."
wrote:

MM wrote:
Please see http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/
What could be the problem and what can I do to improve the ones in the
front garden?

Thanks.

MM

I partially agree with the other replies wrt wind scorch - but the hit and
miss effect on the front ones is confusing.

Looking at the soil texture shown in the photographs, the rear seems fine
and crumbly, the front looks decidely lumpy.

It's possible that the rootball on some of the fron ones is not in proper
contact with the surrounding soil and cannot therefore take up enought
water.

Either that or a dog had ****ed on the one on the corner!

The latter was exactly what my neighbour said! Except he said it could
have been a tom cat.

MM
Old 14-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Rod

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:50:50 +0100, MM wrote:

when I say 'severe wind', I mean gale force
sometimes. It has been blowing so stongly on some occasions that
anything loose in the garden just blows away. Wheelbarrows get
upturned, watering cans - metal ones - blown about. I wonder what kind
of windbreak would last more than a week before it was flattened.

MM

Forget 'Goldcrest' in that position.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 19-04-2005, 09:51 AM
giorgos

MM wrote in message . ..
[...]

DEAR MM I JUST BOUGHT 7 TREES EXACTLY LIKE YOURS
YOUR PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE FUNGI IN THE SOIL
AND YOU BETTER OFF START WATERING YOUR TREES WITH A SOLUTION FOR
FUNGI 2 TIMES A MONTH GET MORE ADVISE ON THE EXACT MEDICINE FROM A PLANT DOCTOR