Old 14-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"eurekaoz"
PER.CASE.LEAVE.EVERYTHING.E
LSE wrote:

My question is this: I have three Golden Cane Palms planted along side my
front veranda (as well as three climbing roses and a hibiscus) and was
wondering (after a wind-up from the MIL god bless her...) that their roots
may affect my foundations and also that she swears that they have *runners*
and spread that way. Now for the record I have not ever heard about them
having runners but am most happy to be corrected on this. My main concern is
will their roots affect my veranda?

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of any palm species having *runners*.
Some probably sucker from the base, though. My impression of palms generally
was that they had shallow, fibrous roots, which dont' seem likely to cause
damage. Is there a nursery nearby where you could check with a qualified
person?

BTW: Hi Chookie! Nice to see someone from alt.aus.parents over here!

And now from the new aus.family as well! Anyone with a family is welcome to
join in!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.