Old 14-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Cumberpach

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up
and 6
feet tall.

My brother built a willow 'fedge' dunno whether willow is poisonous.

Hens can easily push through a 4" gap at ground level, so no hedge
will keep them in..In any case, if you enclose hens, it's better to use
wire and posts which can be moved to a clean area of grass and herbage
after the run has been henpecked down to smelly mud.

As a p.s. to the above. My neighbour has an allotment split into 2 runs,
surrounded by a 6 foot high wire fence. One half contains large 'Moran'
hens. These hens never attempt to fly out, probably too heavy. In the next
run are the smaller bantams (not sure which variety) and a couple of these
are always flying out.
Might be worth noting, at chicken choosing time.