Old 15-04-2005, 01:11 PM
CanadianCowboy

I am assuming a book from 1940 suggests lead or copper because it can be
easily shaped and is very durable. With today's technology and hard
stretchable rubbers and plastics you only need to use liners of varying
types. It is much less expensive and safer for the fish and yourselves.

Snooze wrote:
"newsgroup_reader" wrote in message

I have a circa 1940 gardening book with instructions for creating a pool

from sheet lead.

The abutting sheets are to be crimped at 90 degrees, one with 2 inches
overhang, the other with 1 inch. The longer is folded over the shorter,
then both are bent over and soldered along the seam. The pieces are joined
together in that manner into larger sections representing bottom and
sides, which are crimped together and soldered.

Can sheet-lead still be purchased? Would the lead surface oxidize over
time, as in pipes? The book says this will not harm fish, so I assume
either they're are lying, they never tried it, or some sort of patina
develops to prevent lead leaching into the water.

The book says copper can be substituted for lead, but from what I've read
this would also unhealthy for the creatures living in it.

What are your thoughts?

I've added rec.ponds to this, there are plenty of knowledgable people there
who probably know far more then I. I can't imagine that a pond made out of
lead sheets would be safe. Keep in mind that most building codes, atleast
those in america, ban the use of lead based solder in residential plumbing.

An entire pond made out of lead or copper is going to build up a fairly high
level of heavy metals in the water. I suppose you could build the pond shape
out of lead/copper, then line it with a pond liner.

-S