Old 13-04-2005, 06:39 PM
newsgroup_reader

Default Sheet Lead - Pond

I have a circa 1940 gardening book with instructions for creating a pool
from sheet lead.

The abutting sheets are to be crimped at 90 degrees, one with 2 inches
overhang, the other with 1 inch. The longer is folded over the shorter,
then both are bent over and soldered along the seam. The pieces are
joined together in that manner into larger sections representing bottom
and sides, which are crimped together and soldered.

Can sheet-lead still be purchased? Would the lead surface oxidize over
time, as in pipes? The book says this will not harm fish, so I assume
either they're are lying, they never tried it, or some sort of patina
develops to prevent lead leaching into the water.

The book says copper can be substituted for lead, but from what I've
read this would also unhealthy for the creatures living in it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 13-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Doug Kanter

I don't know if the dangers of lead were known in the 1940s, but who cares?
Why bother with it?

Go find your yellow pages phone book, check under garden centers, and find a
place that sells rubber pond liner. I say "rubber", but it may, in fact, be
a combination of other things. Whatever. It's a black material about as
thick as shoe leather, sold from a roll in the store. Much tougher than
leather, but easy to work with. My ex-wife's pond has been in place for 10
years, with no leaks, and the liner takes a beating. If you need a product
that's wider than what's sold from a roll, do a web search for flexible pond
liner. You'll find the right thing.

Old 13-04-2005, 09:16 PM
dps

The rubber (plastic) liners can be glued together to form the complex
shapes required in ponds. Much safer than lead, particularly where the
water may be on the acid side.

Old 14-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Frank Logullo

Doug Kanter wrote:
I don't know if the dangers of lead were known in the 1940s, but who

cares?
Why bother with it?

Go find your yellow pages phone book, check under garden centers, and

find a
place that sells rubber pond liner. I say "rubber", but it may, in fact,

be
a combination of other things. Whatever. It's a black material about as
thick as shoe leather, sold from a roll in the store. Much tougher than
leather, but easy to work with. My ex-wife's pond has been in place for

10
years, with no leaks, and the liner takes a beating. If you need a

product
that's wider than what's sold from a roll, do a web search for flexible

pond
liner. You'll find the right thing.

Don't know about ponds but lead pans (under shower tiles) were replaced
years ago by plastic.

Old 15-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Snooze

[...]

I've added rec.ponds to this, there are plenty of knowledgable people there
who probably know far more then I. I can't imagine that a pond made out of
lead sheets would be safe. Keep in mind that most building codes, atleast
those in america, ban the use of lead based solder in residential plumbing.

An entire pond made out of lead or copper is going to build up a fairly high
level of heavy metals in the water. I suppose you could build the pond shape
out of lead/copper, then line it with a pond liner.

-S

Old 15-04-2005, 01:11 PM
CanadianCowboy

I am assuming a book from 1940 suggests lead or copper because it can be
easily shaped and is very durable. With today's technology and hard
stretchable rubbers and plastics you only need to use liners of varying
types. It is much less expensive and safer for the fish and yourselves.

Old 15-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"newsgroup_reader" wrote in message
I have a circa 1940 gardening book with instructions for creating a pool
from sheet lead.

The book says copper can be substituted for lead, but from what I've read
this would also unhealthy for the creatures living in it.

What are your thoughts?

I've added rec.ponds to this, there are plenty of knowledgable people
there who probably know far more then I. I can't imagine that a pond made
out of lead sheets would be safe. Keep in mind that most building codes,
atleast those in america, ban the use of lead based solder in residential
plumbing.

I can't say I've ever heard of fish being subject to those kinds of lead
levels, but fish are generally not affected by lead. It's a nerve toxin,
and fish have much simpler nervous systems than we do. However, I just
shudder to think what legal ramifications there might be for you (and
possibly even health problems). It sounds chancy.

Copper is _definitely_ not a good idea. You'd not have any snails, dragon
fly larvae, hellgramites (OK, you don't really need those!) or other
invertebrates.
--
derek
Old 15-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Stephen Henning

Derek Broughton wrote:

I can't say I've ever heard of fish being subject to those kinds of lead
levels, but fish are generally not affected by lead. It's a nerve toxin,
and fish have much simpler nervous systems than we do. However, I just
shudder to think what legal ramifications there might be for you (and
possibly even health problems). It sounds chancy.

It would be OK if you didn't eat your pond fish. With acid rain, lead
carbonate is a common product in lead lined ponds. Lead carbonate is
not soluble in water. However, ponds high in nitrates would have lead
nitrate. That is soluble and dangerous. All the anacharis I buy has
lead weight strips wrapped around it. Just don't eat the fish.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 16-04-2005, 02:01 AM
George

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not only that, but since the water is likely not to meet the EPA's safe water
standards for lead, you then have an expensive disposal problem. If you simply
discard the contaminated water, then you risk contaminating your soil. If you
dump it in the sewer, and your sewer department finds out, then you are going to
be in very hot water. Then there is the problem of trying to sell your house at
a later date when someone asks you about your lead-lined pond.

[IMG] code is On

Sheet Lead - Pond Snooze Ponds 6 16-04-2005 02:01 AM
lead from sports in environment how to adapt a .177 BB to a pelletrifle; no lead pollution of land Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 04-09-2004 06:55 AM
For anyone worried about lead WAS Lead weights for plants RedForeman ©® Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 19-05-2004 06:04 AM
Lining of pond with sheet plastic Pickmaster Ponds 6 19-06-2003 06:40 AM
"Sheet of water" waterfall design Keith and Wendy Slonecker Ponds 4 21-05-2003 04:32 PM