Old 15-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"newsgroup_reader" wrote in message
I have a circa 1940 gardening book with instructions for creating a pool
from sheet lead.

The book says copper can be substituted for lead, but from what I've read
this would also unhealthy for the creatures living in it.

What are your thoughts?

I've added rec.ponds to this, there are plenty of knowledgable people
there who probably know far more then I. I can't imagine that a pond made
out of lead sheets would be safe. Keep in mind that most building codes,
atleast those in america, ban the use of lead based solder in residential
plumbing.

I can't say I've ever heard of fish being subject to those kinds of lead
levels, but fish are generally not affected by lead. It's a nerve toxin,
and fish have much simpler nervous systems than we do. However, I just
shudder to think what legal ramifications there might be for you (and
possibly even health problems). It sounds chancy.

Copper is _definitely_ not a good idea. You'd not have any snails, dragon
fly larvae, hellgramites (OK, you don't really need those!) or other
invertebrates.
--
derek