Old 15-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Stephen Henning

Derek Broughton wrote:

I can't say I've ever heard of fish being subject to those kinds of lead
levels, but fish are generally not affected by lead. It's a nerve toxin,
and fish have much simpler nervous systems than we do. However, I just
shudder to think what legal ramifications there might be for you (and
possibly even health problems). It sounds chancy.

It would be OK if you didn't eat your pond fish. With acid rain, lead
carbonate is a common product in lead lined ponds. Lead carbonate is
not soluble in water. However, ponds high in nitrates would have lead
nitrate. That is soluble and dangerous. All the anacharis I buy has
lead weight strips wrapped around it. Just don't eat the fish.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6