Old 15-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Justbrilliant

my whole front yard in NJ (which I have seeded many times) is dead from
grubs and then moles. It was a nightmare last fall. I laid a flashlight
on the ground at night and have a major network of moles going in every
direction. The molehills this spring are big, like 6" across. The rain
exposes the hole, which is 3" It amazes me how they go for the only
patches of grass left.

I thinking of the electrocution method. Flooding their hiways with the
hose, and then zapping 'em. If they come above ground, my dog will get
them.

Anybody know how a CURRENT to CUBIC FT ratio? Maybe use my car battery
with a couple of jumper cables / with ribar stakes? Moving along a few
feet at a time, flushing them in one direction with electric current. Or
possibly rounding them up by circling in on them?

I have tried Merit, Scotts Grub Mix, Home Depot Grub mix, Mole poison,
mole traps, my Shephard goes after them, but he is not always successful.
After he is done, it is a real mess. When he catches one, he regurgitates
it at my feet. (good boy)

I have very little grass left. mostly dust.

"- Tom -" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Live in NJ and spring seems to be here. At the end of last summer, we
noticed a grub problem where a big patch of our lawn was dead...had to
rake it all out (grubs were abundant) and reseed the area. Any
suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring again? Are there any
prevention treatments that work well?

I agree with Peter H. Merit works very well. It's very important to
apply the product at the right stage, or instar, of the grubs' life cycle.
See your coop extension agent or read up on Merit from its manufacturer.
A combination of nematodes and pesticide works, too, according to
http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2152.
Also,
http://www.umassturf.org/mangement_u...ve/04jul15.htm.
You likely have several different types of grubs munching your lawn's
roots. The only reliable way to differentiate between them is to grab a
magnifying glass and check for certain things like the arrangement of
particular hairs on its body. Too involved for a layman that just wants a
better lawn.

--
Tom