Old 16-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Elaine T

~Roy~ wrote:
Both the pickerel reed and iris are pretty flexible with depths. Most
of my Iris is in at least 2" of water over the crown, down to 8 or
more inches........I have 4 different varieties of iris, and one thing
most all of them like is water over their crowns, with the Louisana or
purple ones liking to be planted the deepest.

My pickerel is in anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of water and doing
fine........I owuld make it so that you can always lower or rasie it
if necessary, as what may work fine in one area may ot be good in
another.........but for the most part those two plants are pretty well
tolerant of a lot of variations in planting depths.

If the lilly already has some leaves, it should be easy to tell which
side is placed up.. I place the active end of tuber close to the wall
of the pot, and center it accross the middle if in a round pot, or
diagonal in a square pot so it has longer length to grow in.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:06:52 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

===Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
===a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
===need over the pot surface of...
===
===Iris ensata - Japanese Iris. The white one says 2-5", while the the
===purple one says 5-10"
===
===Pontederia cordata - Pickerel weed. The carton says 8-12"
===
===I also got a lily. It's got a few tiny leaves and I'm not sure how to
===tell which side of the tuber is going to grow. It's hardy, so my
===understanding is that I put it on one side of a pot and it will grow
===across it, right?
===
===Any pointers on growing these plants would be appreciated.

Thanks! That's just what I needed to know.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__