Old 15-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Elaine T

Default How deep for these marginals...

Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
need over the pot surface of...

Iris ensata - Japanese Iris. The white one says 2-5", while the the
purple one says 5-10"

Pontederia cordata - Pickerel weed. The carton says 8-12"

I also got a lily. It's got a few tiny leaves and I'm not sure how to
tell which side of the tuber is going to grow. It's hardy, so my
understanding is that I put it on one side of a pot and it will grow
across it, right?

Any pointers on growing these plants would be appreciated.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 15-04-2005, 02:16 AM
~Roy~

Both the pickerel reed and iris are pretty flexible with depths. Most
of my Iris is in at least 2" of water over the crown, down to 8 or
more inches........I have 4 different varieties of iris, and one thing
most all of them like is water over their crowns, with the Louisana or
purple ones liking to be planted the deepest.

My pickerel is in anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of water and doing
fine........I owuld make it so that you can always lower or rasie it
if necessary, as what may work fine in one area may ot be good in
another.........but for the most part those two plants are pretty well
tolerant of a lot of variations in planting depths.

If the lilly already has some leaves, it should be easy to tell which
side is placed up.. I place the active end of tuber close to the wall
of the pot, and center it accross the middle if in a round pot, or
diagonal in a square pot so it has longer length to grow in.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:06:52 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

===Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
===a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
===need over the pot surface of...
===

Old 15-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Elaine T wrote:

Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
need over the pot surface of...

Iris ensata - Japanese Iris. The white one says 2-5", while the the
purple one says 5-10"

Pontederia cordata - Pickerel weed. The carton says 8-12"

Those, I believe, would be _maximums_. Either one will thrive in wet soil,
they don't need any water over their crowns.

I also got a lily. It's got a few tiny leaves and I'm not sure how to
tell which side of the tuber is going to grow. It's hardy, so my
understanding is that I put it on one side of a pot and it will grow
across it, right?

There's different kinds of hardy lily tuber too. I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the pond!
- so I really can't recall which end you expect to grow. The important
rule is to keep the crown where those leaves emerge above the soil line.
--
derek
Old 15-04-2005, 03:24 PM
John Bachman

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:19:44 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

There's different kinds of hardy lily tuber too. I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the pond!
- so I really can't recall which end you expect to grow. The important
rule is to keep the crown where those leaves emerge above the soil line.

How do you keep the fish from eating them?

John
Old 15-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the pond!
- so I really can't recall which end you expect to grow. The important
rule is to keep the crown where those leaves emerge above the soil line.

How do you keep the fish from eating them?

I have never had a problem with that (and I've never much fed the fish,
either). The lilies grew way too fast anyway!
--
derek

Old 15-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Reel McKoi

wrote:

I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the

pond!
- so I really can't recall which end you expect to grow. The important
rule is to keep the crown where those leaves emerge above the soil line.

How do you keep the fish from eating them?

I have never had a problem with that (and I've never much fed the fish,
either). The lilies grew way too fast anyway!
--
derek

================================
My koi will nibble the roots off water lilies if given the chance. The GF
don't touch them. I do feed my fish because of the number kept per pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Stephen Henning

John Bachman wrote:

How do you keep the fish from eating them?

Put muzzles on them. Just kidding. I don't raise Koi and my Golden
Shinner minnows don't bother most of my plants. The tadpoles like more
plants than the minnows.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 16-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Elaine T

wrote:

===Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
===a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
===need over the pot surface of...
===
===Iris ensata - Japanese Iris. The white one says 2-5", while the the
===purple one says 5-10"
===
===Pontederia cordata - Pickerel weed. The carton says 8-12"
===
===I also got a lily. It's got a few tiny leaves and I'm not sure how to
===tell which side of the tuber is going to grow. It's hardy, so my
===understanding is that I put it on one side of a pot and it will grow
===across it, right?
===
===Any pointers on growing these plants would be appreciated.

Thanks! That's just what I needed to know.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 16-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Elaine T

Derek Broughton wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

[...]

Boy, it's tempting to just toss the plant in there. The place where I'd
planned to put it has the goldies, though, so I suppose I should pot it.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 16-04-2005, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If the lilly already has some leaves, it should be easy to tell which
side is placed up.. I place the active end of tuber close to the wall
of the pot, and center it accross the middle if in a round pot, or
diagonal in a square pot so it has longer length to grow in.

Let me make sure I'm reading this right. You place the non-active end
against the pot side with the active end ready to grow across the pot,
right? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 16-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
If the lilly already has some leaves, it should be easy to tell which
side is placed up.. I place the active end of tuber close to the wall
of the pot, and center it accross the middle if in a round pot, or
diagonal in a square pot so it has longer length to grow in.

Let me make sure I'm reading this right. You place the non-active end
against the pot side with the active end ready to grow across the pot,
right? ~ jan

=======================
That's how I do it too Jan. I put the cut end against the pot corner and
point the growing tip to the opposite corner. That gives the lily a lot of
growing room before it needs a repotting.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 16-04-2005, 06:39 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Let me make sure I'm reading this right. You place the non-active end
against the pot side with the active end ready to grow across the pot,
right? ~ jan

=======================
That's how I do it too Jan. I put the cut end against the pot corner and
point the growing tip to the opposite corner. That gives the lily a lot of
growing room before it needs a repotting.

I was making sure I was understanding Roy's retell version, not so much
needing to know how. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 17-04-2005, 02:09 AM
~Roy~

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:32:24 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===If the lilly already has some leaves, it should be easy to tell which
===side is placed up.. I place the active end of tuber close to the wall
===of the pot, and center it accross the middle if in a round pot, or
===diagonal in a square pot so it has longer length to grow in.
===
===Let me make sure I'm reading this right. You place the non-active end
===against the pot side with the active end ready to grow across the pot,
===right? ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

I think I may have stated it back arsewards,,.............The cut end
or non active end should be against the pot not the active end which
needs room to grow.........duh!

Thanks

Old 18-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Elaine T wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the
pond!

Boy, it's tempting to just toss the plant in there. The place where I'd
planned to put it has the goldies, though, so I suppose I should pot it.

I had Koi and goldfish, and no problem - which I'll admit is unusual - but I
doubt goldfish alone would be a problem.
--
derek

Racks for positioning marginals etc Roy Ponds 12 14-01-2005 11:21 PM
Racks for positioning marginals etc Roy Ponds 0 25-08-2004 02:46 AM
marginals J.D. Stone Ponds 15 10-04-2004 05:34 AM
potting lilies and marginals pete Ponds 1 29-03-2004 11:43 PM
Birds destroying marginals Craig Cagle Ponds 7 02-06-2003 09:32 PM