Old 16-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Elaine T

Derek Broughton wrote:
Elaine T wrote:

Home Depot got some pond plants in for cheap so I thought I'd give them
a try. I don't trust the info on the tags, though. How deep water do I
need over the pot surface of...

Iris ensata - Japanese Iris. The white one says 2-5", while the the
purple one says 5-10"

Pontederia cordata - Pickerel weed. The carton says 8-12"

Those, I believe, would be _maximums_. Either one will thrive in wet soil,
they don't need any water over their crowns.

I also got a lily. It's got a few tiny leaves and I'm not sure how to
tell which side of the tuber is going to grow. It's hardy, so my
understanding is that I put it on one side of a pot and it will grow
across it, right?

There's different kinds of hardy lily tuber too. I stopped actually
planting lilies - just fasten them to a weight, and drop them in the pond!
- so I really can't recall which end you expect to grow. The important
rule is to keep the crown where those leaves emerge above the soil line.

Boy, it's tempting to just toss the plant in there. The place where I'd
planned to put it has the goldies, though, so I suppose I should pot it.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__