Old 16-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Grass in a once woody area

This spring I took down 2 trees, one old dead maple that was covered
in poison ivy and a pine that was in the worst possible place in the
yard. Now that each of these areas is cleaned up I want to get some
grass growing. Oh, poison ivy vines are @#$$#%. The tree was coated,
and when I raked the leaves and mess under it they were everywhere.
Some vines were 2" thick. All done now.

Anyway, here's what I need to do:
1) get grass growing where a pine tree once stood. I've raked the
soil, the pine needles are gone and the soil is bare. how should I
prep it? It's an area about 15' in diameter. I was going to hit it
with some lime. If I lime it, do I spread it, then work it in then
plant? Or spread it, work it in, wait a while, then plant?

2) the area were the maple was is a E facing slope about 6' high and
30' long....sloped about 45 degrees. I was going to rake all of the
leaves out, then seed, cover with hay, water, and let it go. should
this do the trick, or is there anything else I need to do?

I'm in Asheville, NC, zone 6.