Old 17-04-2005, 06:04 PM
RainLover

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:10:29 -0700, Conor Redmond
wrote:

I'd like to plant some bamboo to help act as a screen between me and my
neighbours house. But I've heard Bamboo is fairly prolific and once
it's planted it will start to slowly invade the rest of the garden.

Is there any way to help ensure that the bamboo can be kept in just one
area ?

Thanks
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com

Bamboo makes a GREAT barrior, but unless you want ENEMIES living next
door, at a minimum, put a bamboo barrior along the fence line. This
barrior needs to be at least 22" deep, and keep 2" above ground level
because it WILL go up and over, and 2" will at least make it visible
and easy to trim.

If you don't want it coming up everwhere in YOUR yard, put the barrior
up on your side too. You can rent a trencher for under $100 that'll
do the job and it's VERY worth it 5 years down the road. Some may
suggest you just "cut it with the mower" but you will end up with
stubby little hard things in your yard.

REMEMBER THIS RULE OF THUMB:
Bamboo can run UNDERGROUND as far as it is tall before popping up.

But if it 'pops up' and you mow it, add that distance AGAIN from that
shoot point..

With a little thought before planting, you'll LOVE the bamboo for as
long as you live there.

james, port orchard, zone 8a (black, yellowgrove, Dolcis, and nigra
henon)