Old 18-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Marc & Mel wrote:

I'm in the process of dismantling my hedge in the front garden, it is 18
feet long and has 5 main shoots. I have already cut back the actual hedge so
all that is left is the 'shoot's. I need to know how to get rid of these,
somebody told me to hack them as low down as possible then put Diesel on the
stumps to kill them off. Is this correct?

No.

P.S. I hope this makes sense as it is 3:15am and I should have been in bed 2
hours ago .... zzzzz.

Well, the English makes sense, but the gardening doesn't :-)

It depends on what the hedge is and whether you can get at the roots.
The best solution is to dig up the roots - with a grub-axe (pick-mattock),
removing 5 privet stumps should take less than an hour even for someone
inexperienced. DON'T cut the stumps short if you are going to do this,
as you use them for leverage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.