Old 18-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Marc & Mel

Default How do I get rid of my hedge?

Hi!

I'm in the process of dismantling my hedge in the front garden, it is 18
feet long and has 5 main shoots. I have already cut back the actual hedge so
all that is left is the 'shoot's. I need to know how to get rid of these,
somebody told me to hack them as low down as possible then put Diesel on the
stumps to kill them off. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Marc.

P.S. I hope this makes sense as it is 3:15am and I should have been in bed 2
hours ago .... zzzzz.

Old 18-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Marc & Mel wrote:

I'm in the process of dismantling my hedge in the front garden, it is 18
feet long and has 5 main shoots. I have already cut back the actual hedge so
all that is left is the 'shoot's. I need to know how to get rid of these,
somebody told me to hack them as low down as possible then put Diesel on the
stumps to kill them off. Is this correct?

No.

P.S. I hope this makes sense as it is 3:15am and I should have been in bed 2
hours ago .... zzzzz.

Well, the English makes sense, but the gardening doesn't :-)

It depends on what the hedge is and whether you can get at the roots.
The best solution is to dig up the roots - with a grub-axe (pick-mattock),
removing 5 privet stumps should take less than an hour even for someone
inexperienced. DON'T cut the stumps short if you are going to do this,
as you use them for leverage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Marc & Mel
writes
Hi!

I'm in the process of dismantling my hedge in the front garden, it is 18
feet long and has 5 main shoots.

5 stumps I guess that means?

I have already cut back the actual hedge so
all that is left is the 'shoot's. I need to know how to get rid of these,
somebody told me to hack them as low down as possible then put Diesel on the
stumps to kill them off. Is this correct?

Diesel is not the correct thing at all.

1. it won't do the soil much good (as well as being technically illegal
I guess)

2. It probably won't work well anyway.

The answer depends on what sort of tree/shrub formed the hedge - conifer
or deciduous and what do you intend to do with the land afterwards. e.g.
if you want to put up a fence then you probably need to remove the
stumps. In this case get you self a mattock and a spade and away you go.
I would probably do this anyway - 5 stumps, unless we are talking great
big tree stumps won't be too bad job

Assuming you don't need to do the latter, then yes, cut down the stems
close to the ground. If the tree's are conifer then usually they will
not regrow and can just be left to rot away if that doesn't cause any
problems.

If they are deciduous then they will normally regrow - it's how
coppicing works - they will need removing or killing. If you want to do
the latter you can buy 'stump Killer' from garden centres and hardware
shops - just follow the instructions.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
Old 18-04-2005, 03:45 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Marc & Mel wrote:

[...]

I got rid of the privet hedge in my front garden some years ago in a rather
run to do way. I attached a nylon rope around the stem of each one, then to
the towbar of my car and yanked it out in a trice. Easy peasy, great fun and
nothing ever grew back :0)

Old 18-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Gary Woods

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote:

attached a nylon rope around the stem of each one, then to
the towbar of my car and yanked it out in a trice.

I love "out of the box" thinking!

Somewhat off-topic, but when crews in my area needed to clear forest for a
canal, they invented a stump puller. Mind you this was 100+ years ago, and
the motive power was horses. Two bit wheels, perhaps eight feed in
diameter, with chains around the outside perimeter, hooked to a horse team.
Chain wound around the axle between, perhaps 1 foot in diameter. Haul the
thing over a stump, hook the central chain to same, and give the team a
nudge, and ought it comes.
There's a town west of me named "Rome," founded by some of the many
stonemasons imported for the project. At the time, Italy was the place to
go. I guess Hadrian's crew was long gone by then.

Bright sunny day in the American colonies, and I'm already behind schedule
in garden projects...

Cheers!

Old 18-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Gary Woods

Gary Woods wrote:

Two bit wheels, perhaps eight feed

big.......feet....

Which must have been what I was typing with.
Next time I'll finish my coffee.

Ham radio types use "Q" signals to shorten common items; an unofficial one
is QLF: "Try sending with your _left_ foot.

Been following the rotovator around; feels good!

Getting rid of a hedge Ron Gardening 7 10-04-2004 03:32 PM
How do you get rid of snails? Bry United Kingdom 34 02-10-2003 11:44 AM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 09:56 PM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Little Badger United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 09:44 PM
need to get rid of hair algae! Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 09-02-2003 12:09 PM