Old 18-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Radar Man wrote:
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and
peat and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of
year. BOGOFF, 3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.
Margate area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe
they have gone out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat bogs are
one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are unique environments
supporting species not found elsewhere, like the UK's only carnivorous
plant, the sundew. Peat is a very slow renewing resource, at less than 1mm a
year.

In the last century we have lost 75% of blanket bogs and 94% of raised bogs.
UK gardeners use a staggering 2.55 million cubic metres of peat each year.
At this rate, in less than a decade peat bogs will have disappeared
altogether. I, personally, feel that the sale of peat should be outlawed and
even made a criminal offence.

Why not build a compost heap and do it yourself, you're recycling your own
household waste and it is a sustainable, renewable, resource. There are also
plenty of commercial peat-free alternatives that do the same job. Coir
(coconut fibre) is also fantastic at retaining moisture.

Look for alternatives just, please, don't buy peat!

From the RSPB
http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/whaty.../peat/help.asp