Old 18-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Radar Man

Default OT. Help! Cheap compost and peat offers.

New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and peat
and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of year. BOGOFF,
3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent. Margate
area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe they have gone
out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

Old 18-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Mike

"Radar Man" wrote in message
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and peat
and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of year.

BOGOFF,
3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.

Margate
area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe they have gone
out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

Our Council have a wonderful composting facility and I feel sure that if you
do a search, yours, or one nearby will also do one. This compost is
available at many outlets here on the Isle of Wight, or at the collection
points of garden waste as well. Already bagged it could even go on the back
seat of the car with a few covers on the seats themselves ;-))

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies

Old 18-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Radar Man

"Mike" wrote in message
"Radar Man" wrote in message
[...]

Great idea Mike. I'll get searching right now.

RM

Old 18-04-2005, 11:41 AM
doug

"Radar Man" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
"Radar Man" wrote in message
[...]

********
There's a big iron skip in our local well organised tip, full of free
compost. Last time I saw it was steaming like the clappers. I an now
preparing for the season and my greenhouse soil is four years since last
mixed, - so I'll go past there this afternoon and I'll drop in , - (to the
compound, not the skip), - and have a shuftie. I may even check with the
local friendly Park Chief.
I'll report back.
Doug.
********

Old 18-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Radar Man wrote:
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and
peat and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of
year. BOGOFF, 3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.
Margate area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe
they have gone out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat bogs are
one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are unique environments
supporting species not found elsewhere, like the UK's only carnivorous
plant, the sundew. Peat is a very slow renewing resource, at less than 1mm a
year.

In the last century we have lost 75% of blanket bogs and 94% of raised bogs.
UK gardeners use a staggering 2.55 million cubic metres of peat each year.
At this rate, in less than a decade peat bogs will have disappeared
altogether. I, personally, feel that the sale of peat should be outlawed and
even made a criminal offence.

Why not build a compost heap and do it yourself, you're recycling your own
household waste and it is a sustainable, renewable, resource. There are also
plenty of commercial peat-free alternatives that do the same job. Coir
(coconut fibre) is also fantastic at retaining moisture.

Look for alternatives just, please, don't buy peat!

From the RSPB
http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/whaty.../peat/help.asp

Old 18-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Des Higgins

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Radar Man wrote:
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and
peat and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of
year. BOGOFF, 3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.
Margate area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe
they have gone out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat bogs are
one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are unique environments
supporting species not found elsewhere, like the UK's only carnivorous
plant, the sundew.

Actually there is a whole bunch of carnivourous plants, including 3
different sundews.
You have butterworts (Pinguicula; 3 or so species) which have sort of
buttery pale green leaves in a small rosette and heavenly flowers and
Utricularias which are aquatic and common in bog pools and have little
bladders which implode when touched and suck in invertebrates. These are
all native.
You also get various pitcher plamnts which I think are not native but are
quite big and odd looking compared to the others.

So even more reason for being nice to yer nearest bit of bog.

Des

Old 18-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat bogs are
one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are unique environments
supporting species not found elsewhere, like the UK's only carnivorous
plant, the sundew.

I support your message, but 'the' sundew isn't our only carnivorous
plant. Peat bogs are where the *three* sundew species are found. Then we
also have two species of Butterwort (Pinguicula), and Utricularia. There
might be more!

--
Kay

Old 18-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Radar Man wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Des, I actually sort of knew I was wrong, but I couldn't recall the
names of the others.

Old 18-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat
bogs are one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are
unique environments supporting species not found elsewhere, like the
UK's only carnivorous plant, the sundew.

I support your message, but 'the' sundew isn't our only carnivorous
plant. Peat bogs are where the *three* sundew species are found. Then
we also have two species of Butterwort (Pinguicula), and Utricularia.
There might be more!

OK, OK, Sarah tries to be authoritative and, once again, ends up looking a
complete fool....

Sarah doesn't mind - it's not the first time...

Thanks, Janet.