Old 18-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Gary Woods

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote:

attached a nylon rope around the stem of each one, then to
the towbar of my car and yanked it out in a trice.

I love "out of the box" thinking!

Somewhat off-topic, but when crews in my area needed to clear forest for a
canal, they invented a stump puller. Mind you this was 100+ years ago, and
the motive power was horses. Two bit wheels, perhaps eight feed in
diameter, with chains around the outside perimeter, hooked to a horse team.
Chain wound around the axle between, perhaps 1 foot in diameter. Haul the
thing over a stump, hook the central chain to same, and give the team a
nudge, and ought it comes.
There's a town west of me named "Rome," founded by some of the many
stonemasons imported for the project. At the time, Italy was the place to
go. I guess Hadrian's crew was long gone by then.

Bright sunny day in the American colonies, and I'm already behind schedule
in garden projects...

Cheers!