Old 18-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Des Higgins

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Radar Man wrote:
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and
peat and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of
year. BOGOFF, 3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.
Margate area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe
they have gone out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat bogs are
one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are unique environments
supporting species not found elsewhere, like the UK's only carnivorous
plant, the sundew.

Actually there is a whole bunch of carnivourous plants, including 3
different sundews.
You have butterworts (Pinguicula; 3 or so species) which have sort of
buttery pale green leaves in a small rosette and heavenly flowers and
Utricularias which are aquatic and common in bog pools and have little
bladders which implode when touched and suck in invertebrates. These are
all native.
You also get various pitcher plamnts which I think are not native but are
quite big and odd looking compared to the others.

So even more reason for being nice to yer nearest bit of bog.

Des