Old 19-04-2005, 01:35 AM
~Roy~

Depends on what lilly you get..some need shallower water if they are
the miniature...however if you get one that has leaves of say 5 to 7
inches in size they should do fine in water up to about 3 feet or
so...The leaves will self adjust for the depth once it gets
established. I would just wade out a bit of ways, and using a shovel
just make a small depression and push the roots into place firmly,
that way its not gonna just up and drift or float off on you. It only
takes a minute to plant one in a dirt bottom pond. Most of mine is
planted in a dirt bottomed pond, from 12" to well over 3 feet in depth
and doing fine.
Try and plant it where it will get at least a minimum of 6 hours of
full sunlight for best results with blooms and growth, and while your
at it shove a few tomatoe plant fertilizer stakes in around the lilly
to fertilize it and give it a boost. Usually in a natural tyupe pond
they do exceptionally well.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:31:11 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

===Can one just place a weight on a Hardy Lily rhizome and simply place it in
===2-3 feet of water in a man made pond that has a dirt bottom? Will it take
===root and continue to grow? There is a pond in our neighborhood that could
===use some foliage and everyone agrees that water lilies would be nice. The
===pond already contains goldfish. The pound is aprox. 2 acres.
===Any thoughts on how to plant?
===
===Jerry
===