Old 18-04-2005, 11:31 PM
JJ

Default Lily in Natural Pond

Can one just place a weight on a Hardy Lily rhizome and simply place it in
2-3 feet of water in a man made pond that has a dirt bottom? Will it take
root and continue to grow? There is a pond in our neighborhood that could
use some foliage and everyone agrees that water lilies would be nice. The
pond already contains goldfish. The pound is aprox. 2 acres.
Any thoughts on how to plant?

Jerry

Old 19-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Reel McKoi

"JJ" wrote in message ...
Can one just place a weight on a Hardy Lily rhizome and simply place it in
2-3 feet of water in a man made pond that has a dirt bottom? Will it take
root and continue to grow?

======================
That should work. :-) About 2' to 2 1/2' of water would be right.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 19-04-2005, 01:09 AM
kathy

Hi Jerry!

I once saw a program on tv where they were
planting a natural dirt bottom pond.
They took the lily and placed it on a square of
burlap. They added some soil and a few fertilizer
tabs to the mix and then tied the burlap up around
the stems and pads. They rowed out in the pond
a bit in a boat and dropped it over the side.
I would expect in about three feet of water.
Sunlight only goes down to six feet in ponds
and lilies usually like under three feet. Though
some people have had lilies deeper than that.

kathy :-)

www.blogfromthebog.com
new entry ~ attracting amphibians

Old 19-04-2005, 01:35 AM
~Roy~

Depends on what lilly you get..some need shallower water if they are
the miniature...however if you get one that has leaves of say 5 to 7
inches in size they should do fine in water up to about 3 feet or
so...The leaves will self adjust for the depth once it gets
established. I would just wade out a bit of ways, and using a shovel
just make a small depression and push the roots into place firmly,
that way its not gonna just up and drift or float off on you. It only
takes a minute to plant one in a dirt bottom pond. Most of mine is
planted in a dirt bottomed pond, from 12" to well over 3 feet in depth
and doing fine.
Try and plant it where it will get at least a minimum of 6 hours of
full sunlight for best results with blooms and growth, and while your
at it shove a few tomatoe plant fertilizer stakes in around the lilly
to fertilize it and give it a boost. Usually in a natural tyupe pond
they do exceptionally well.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:31:11 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

===Can one just place a weight on a Hardy Lily rhizome and simply place it in
===2-3 feet of water in a man made pond that has a dirt bottom? Will it take
===root and continue to grow? There is a pond in our neighborhood that could
===use some foliage and everyone agrees that water lilies would be nice. The
===pond already contains goldfish. The pound is aprox. 2 acres.
===Any thoughts on how to plant?
===
===Jerry
===
===

Old 19-04-2005, 02:01 AM
kathy

PS ~ and a rock.
A big rock.
They tied up a rock in the bundle to sink it.

k ;-)

Old 19-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Gary Woods

"kathy" wrote:

They tied up a rock in the bundle to sink it.

Alternate method: Grow hardy lily in plastic pail in the usual way. Have a
few bad years and neglect same until the bucket falls apart. Enjoy nice
patch of "Sumptuosa" in earth pond.

(Gotta go wading this summer and re-capture/re-domesticate them; other
varieties were in sturdier buckets, so reclamation was easier....)

Old 19-04-2005, 02:20 AM
kathy

For years I've watched a hardy white lily, not native to our
state (Washington) spread around the shores of Lake Washington
over by the University of Washington.
Someone planted it in there and it has taken
off and over the years has spread and spread.
Really looks pretty but is probably a nuisance to boaters that go
from the locks into the lake.

kathy :-)

Old 19-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Sounds like lots of good advice. My only comment is that if it takes
hold, you will have lots of lillies. Be careful of doing that with
lotus...they are harder to get out because of the depth to which they go.

Enjoy

Jim

Old 19-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Derek Broughton

JJ wrote:

Can one just place a weight on a Hardy Lily rhizome and simply place it in
2-3 feet of water in a man made pond that has a dirt bottom? Will it take
root and continue to grow? There is a pond in our neighborhood that could
use some foliage and everyone agrees that water lilies would be nice. The
pond already contains goldfish. The pound is aprox. 2 acres.
Any thoughts on how to plant?

That'll work fine. I've grown lilies bare root, just weighted down, for
years. They don't self-root, because I keep the pond bottom clean of dirt,
but in a dirt-bottom pond, they'll root and spread.
--
derek

Old 22-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Dean A. Markley

If they are not native to your area don't do it! As pretty as they can be,
water lilies can choke a pond if uncontrolled. Please think about that.

Dean

Seasonal natural pond PreMonier Ponds 9 26-05-2011 11:08 PM
small natural pond Keith Hampson United Kingdom 3 20-02-2006 01:13 PM
Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
Natural pond? James Williams Ponds 1 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Not a lily at all ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 PM