Old 18-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Des Higgins wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Radar Man wrote:
New garden (shambles really) my lady wants lots of cheap compost and
peat and recalls seeing offers in Supermarkets around this time of
year. BOGOFF, 3 for 2 etc.

Does anybody in this NG know of such offers currently in East Kent.
Margate area specifically. I've yet to find any this year so maybe
they have gone out of fashion.

TIA

Radar Man

May I respectfully request that you do *NOT* purchase peat. Peat
bogs are one of the UK's fastest disappearing habitats and are
unique environments supporting species not found elsewhere, like the
UK's only carnivorous plant, the sundew.

Actually there is a whole bunch of carnivourous plants, including 3
different sundews.
You have butterworts (Pinguicula; 3 or so species) which have sort of
buttery pale green leaves in a small rosette and heavenly flowers and
Utricularias which are aquatic and common in bog pools and have little
bladders which implode when touched and suck in invertebrates. These
are all native.
You also get various pitcher plamnts which I think are not native but
are quite big and odd looking compared to the others.

So even more reason for being nice to yer nearest bit of bog.

Des

Thanks, Des, I actually sort of knew I was wrong, but I couldn't recall the
names of the others.