Old 18-04-2005, 11:55 PM
[H]omer

Mike Lyle wrote:
[H]omer wrote:
I have a small area covered in loose 2" pink granite rocks, and I'd
like to know if there's any type of plant (wild or otherwise) which
could grow on it

I'd prefer full cover (kind of like heather) with delicate flowers -
i.e. hide the rocks. No I'm not going to move them

Sounds as though your instinct is right: heathers would be great in
that position, and are very low-maintenance once established. They
don't want shade, though

Yes I do like the idea of heathers in that spot. It's on the north face
of a small mound - still gets plenty of sun, but is slightly protected
from the wind.

You will want direct soil contact, though: is it all right to move
_some_ of the stones aside?

Oh sure, I can do that. I just need enough stones there to make the area
'awkward' to walk on - i.e. I'm trying to discourage people trampling
over it - esp. with bicycles.

it'll be best to make a nice home for each plant by loosening the soil
underneath and adding enough extra to bring up to level

Great, I'll do that.

I think you will probably get some moss coming in, but it shouldn't
matter.

Oh I don't have an objection to moss, I just want something else as the
main feature.

Thanks.

-
[H]omer