Old 19-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Roger Snipes

Iris,

I wouldn't really recommend restricting water to reduce needle length. You
should be able to do that with standard candle pinching and cutting
techniques, and by timing your fertilizing. Basically that same treatment
as is recommended for Japanese Black Pine.

One thing that I do that makes a difference in needle length is to give
pines no nitrogen fertilizer until the new needles have hardened off.
Usually that is late in June or so here in Zone 5.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5