Old 18-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Default [IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines

Does anyone know where I can find a decent picture of a good bonsai from one
of these Iseli miniatures? They were widely promoted a few years ago, but I
have not seen any at the shows. The only one I found on the Web was purported to
be 6-8 years old, but it was still a mallsai, being sold by a florist
company. All the other mugo pine bonsai you ever see, mostly from Europe, are
standard mugos. The European ones are all collected.
This tells me there is some serious drawback to using these miniatures as
bonsai, although at first glance they appear well suited. What's the catch?
Mine is rather unkempt right now, since I just took off all its wires. It
needs inspiration.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Steven Wachs

I have tried working with The Isellis plants. I always pick up a Shimpaku when I see one at the nursry. They make nivr prsents for my friends who beg me for a bonsai. I like the Hinoki's as well. I do not have any luck with the Mugho Pines. They never survive a winter.

Stevew
Long Island NY

Does anyone know where I can find a decent picture of a good bonsai from one
of these Iseli miniatures? They were widely promoted a few years ago, but I
have not seen any at the shows. The only one I found on the Web was purported to

be 6-8 years old, but it was still a mallsai, being sold by a florist
company. All the other mugo pine bonsai you ever see, mostly from Europe, are
standard mugos. The European ones are all collected.
This tells me there is some serious drawback to using these miniatures as
bonsai, although at first glance they appear well suited. What's the catch?
Mine is rather unkempt right now, since I just took off all its wires. It
needs inspiration.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-04-2005, 10:55 PM

In a message dated 4/18/05 1:56:24 PM, STEVEW70146 writes:
I do not have any luck with the Mugho Pines. They never survive a winter.

I would not try to winter one of those little ones outdoors, even though they
are listed as extremely hardy. My experience is that they have to be well
watered all winter. They must transpire profusely in their sleep. Since I learned
that trick I have had no trouble keeping mine over the winter in the uheated
sunporch. Otherwise I killed a couple while repotting. You have to repot them
very carefully with minimum root disturbance.
Speaking of which, I have another question. Mine has reached the point where
I want to restrict the needle length. The books say in order to do that, you
have to limit the water during the active growing period. Exactly when is that
in Zone 5? And exactly how much do I limit the water? This is in a 5.5 inch
pot, so I don't have much leeway.

Old 19-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Roger Snipes

Iris,

I wouldn't really recommend restricting water to reduce needle length. You
should be able to do that with standard candle pinching and cutting
techniques, and by timing your fertilizing. Basically that same treatment
as is recommended for Japanese Black Pine.

One thing that I do that makes a difference in needle length is to give
pines no nitrogen fertilizer until the new needles have hardened off.
Usually that is late in June or so here in Zone 5.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5

Speaking of which, I have another question. Mine has reached the point
where

I want to restrict the needle length. The books say in order to do that,
you
have to limit the water during the active growing period. Exactly when is
that
in Zone 5? And exactly how much do I limit the water? This is in a 5.5
inch
pot, so I don't have much leeway.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines [email protected] Bonsai 1 18-04-2005 12:49 PM
[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 18-04-2005 10:18 AM
[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 18-04-2005 02:54 AM
[IBC] Mugo Pine Jerry Meislik Bonsai 19 02-10-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Mugo Pine] Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-10-2003 01:22 AM