Old 19-04-2005, 03:04 PM
~Roy~

On 19 Apr 2005 06:18:45 -0700, "nortyler" wrote:

===Thanks for the input,
===
===I have a few quick questions about external vs. submersable pumps and
===filters.
===
===1. Does an external pump need some sort of pump house (cover) to keep
===it out of the weather?

Yes, most have to have some sort of house or cover over them. If your
water table is high enough you can use a large plastic water meter box
deal, and I have seem some folks use a large rubber maid type chest,
and othrs that just set a bucket over some pumps.....Just need to
keeop the rain out of the motor. Externals for the mopst part are much
more energy efficient than a submersible type.
===
===2. Do the leaf strainers that come with external pumps collect leaves
===or do they just keep the leaves out of the pump? Do the strainers sit
===on the bottom of the pond and if they do will they pull the muck
===through an external filter(ie veggie, waterfall)or do you need some
===other device?

Basically both......Strainers are mainly used to catch larger debri so
it does not block or damage the pump... Most are installed just
forward of the pumps wetend. SOme folks have a strainer that sets
directly in the pond on the bottom....Pros and cons to having it on
the ponds bottom, as it will be more trouble to clean when it gets
clogged up, that one mounted infront of a external pump where all yo
ned to do is shut off pump remove strainer basket cover, clean basket
and reinstall etc etc. Its best to have a pump with as little
restriction on the suction line as possible. A strainer does not add
much if any to a pumps suction unless it gets dirty.......
===
===3. Are there different types of bottom drains? When looking throuh the
===internet adds there seemed to be what was like a conventional drain and
===also a device that sat on the bottom and connected to a skimmer.

Not familiar with bottom drains as I do not have em in a natural pond,
but you want a bottom drain with a sort of debri cover or dome from
what I understand
===
===I probably will start with just a pump and would like to add a filter
===of some sort. I don't know if I have room for a veggie filter. How good
===are waterfall filters?
===
===
===