Old 20-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Jasmine is not hard to grow but it can sometimes be hard to get it to
flower, try an ordinary honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum, the variety
Sweet Sue is a nice compact and bushy plant. However I suspect you won't
need either as your compost heap shouldn't smell :~)

Charlie, I have three jasmine's , officinale, stephanese and a
variegated one. They all flower and are scented though you really can't
trim them or prune them in anyway without a loss of flower! The
variegated one has such pretty leaves that actually it's acceptable
without flowers

The main thing that I find difficult ids that unless it's grown over an
arch or pergola the growth is very upright and it has to be fairly
rigorously tied back or it goes berserk! The scent from officinale is
very strong though some visitors actually don't like the smell. The
stephanese and the variegated plant aren't quite so scented.

Thinking of taking two of mine out (the ones against the walls) and
replacing with clematis !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph