Old 20-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Registered User

Default Scented Climber

I have a small south facing wall (its my shed) its very sheltered and only gets full sun in the middle part of the day, next to it is my compost bin.
I would like to grow a scented climber to disguise any smells that the bin may make and be attaractive etc.
I was going to choose jasmine (officinale) but it seems it very hard to grow.

Any suggestions or advice?

Cheers
Old 20-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Robert

"gasdoctor" wrote in message
:
: I have a small south facing wall (its my shed) its very sheltered and
: only gets full sun in the middle part of the day, next to it is my
: compost bin.
: I would like to grow a scented climber to disguise any smells that the
: bin may make and be attaractive etc.
: I was going to choose jasmine (officinale) but it seems it very hard to
: grow.
:
: Any suggestions or advice?
:
: Cheers
:

What about honeysuckle?
: gasdoctor

Old 20-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Charlie Pridham

--
gasdoctor

Jasmine is not hard to grow but it can sometimes be hard to get it to
flower, try an ordinary honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum, the variety
Sweet Sue is a nice compact and bushy plant. However I suspect you won't
need either as your compost heap shouldn't smell :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Duncan Heenan

"gasdoctor" wrote in message

I have a small south facing wall (its my shed) its very sheltered and
only gets full sun in the middle part of the day, next to it is my
compost bin.
I would like to grow a scented climber to disguise any smells that the
bin may make and be attaractive etc.
I was going to choose jasmine (officinale) but it seems it very hard to
grow.

Any suggestions or advice?

Cheers

--
gasdoctor

Honeysuckle is surprisingly easy to grow, pretty, and the smell is pure
bliss.

Old 20-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Jasmine is not hard to grow but it can sometimes be hard to get it to
flower, try an ordinary honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum, the variety
Sweet Sue is a nice compact and bushy plant. However I suspect you won't
need either as your compost heap shouldn't smell :~)

Charlie, I have three jasmine's , officinale, stephanese and a
variegated one. They all flower and are scented though you really can't
trim them or prune them in anyway without a loss of flower! The
variegated one has such pretty leaves that actually it's acceptable
without flowers

The main thing that I find difficult ids that unless it's grown over an
arch or pergola the growth is very upright and it has to be fairly
rigorously tied back or it goes berserk! The scent from officinale is
very strong though some visitors actually don't like the smell. The
stephanese and the variegated plant aren't quite so scented.

Thinking of taking two of mine out (the ones against the walls) and
replacing with clematis !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 21-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

[...]

Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects the
flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but they
certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant be
ripping them out just yet!)

Old 21-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects the
| flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but they
| certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant be
| ripping them out just yet!)

What sort of growth does J. officinale flower on? Too much pruning
could have been my problem, so I should like to know how to do it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Seems Jasmine is out (shame)

I always thought honeysuckle was extremely vigoruos.

Honeysucle should be easy to find, though I did fancy something bit different.

Cheers

Ed
Old 22-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that

effects the
| flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but

they
| certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I

shant be
| ripping them out just yet!)

What sort of growth does J. officinale flower on? Too much pruning
could have been my problem, so I should like to know how to do it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well I made the classic mistake of planting officinal too close to a path!
but this is what I do. I leave around 2' of new growth on each green stem in
winter, I also remove completely some old brown wood lower down (otherwise
there is a steady build up), but will admit the most flowers are nearly
always on the bits that haven't needed cutting back!
The stephanese flowers its socks off because it is over an arch and can be
just left alone.

Old 22-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Janet,

I've bought an jasmin officinale argenteovariegatum last year and when it flowered late june/july it was lovely, but the flowering period was quite short and someone correctly or incorrectly told me with regular feeding you can keep the flowring for the rest of the summer.

Whats your view on this? is it a bit like greedy clemtais give a good bonmeal feed at start of season and then a tomato liquid feed every two weeks?

thanks 4 your help!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy

Old 22-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Well I made the classic mistake of planting officinal too close to a path!
| but this is what I do. I leave around 2' of new growth on each green stem in
| winter, I also remove completely some old brown wood lower down (otherwise
| there is a steady build up), but will admit the most flowers are nearly
| always on the bits that haven't needed cutting back!

Thanks. I will try that.

Nick.
Old 23-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Tiger303
writes

Janet,

I've bought an jasmin officinale argenteovariegatum last year and when
it flowered late june/july it was lovely, but the flowering period was
quite short and someone correctly or incorrectly told me with regular
feeding you can keep the flowring for the rest of the summer.

Whats your view on this? is it a bit like greedy clemtais give a good
bonmeal feed at start of season and then a tomato liquid feed every two
weeks?

thanks 4 your help!

Matt

Well feeding helps but only on the amount of growth etc. The flowers
won't last any longer though mine last at least a few weeks so not sure
whether you think that's short or not. You could combine it with another
climber but generally jasmine is quite twiggy and getting anything else
in amongst the growth would be tricky!

Stephanese is much more lax but mine doesn't have the same impact as the
officinale mainly because the perfume from the officinale knocks your
socks off from about 50 feet away.
Janet