Old 21-04-2005, 02:15 AM
~Roy~

I just dug up some lilly rhizomes about a month or so ago, and they
were like logs. I ust started to slice them into pieces, as long as
they showed signs of groeth inthe sections I cut out, they got
planted, and all is doing fine........I had thought it was going to be
a real chore to dig up those rhizomes, but once I got under one end,
and started to tug, they came up rather easy....
I guess they would be called rhizomes, or is it a tuber that a
tropical has......heck I don't know.......thats too technical for me
to remember.....

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:19:36 -0400, Stephen Henning
wrote:

=== ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
===
=== The foam is an open cell so water and nutrients can get in it and it
=== can compress with plant grpwth.
===
=== Nope, haven't seen this. I use strips of black weed fabric over the top of
=== the soil and put rocks on that. Both would keep the rocks from settling
=== down into the dirt, which use to happen before. ~ jan
===
===Before I redid my pool into a pond, we had potted about 4 lilies in the
===shallow end. The colored ones eventually died, but the white one spread
===over the entire 17'x47' pool. When we drained the pool, there was a
===black, about 2", pipe that extended in a meandering fashion over the
===entire pool. It was the rhizome of the white water lily. It was one
===plant. We just broke the good parts of the old tuber into small pieces
===to plant when we were done. By the way, the old meandering rhizome
===obviously had left the original pot and was just living in the water.