Old 22-04-2005, 12:34 AM
[H]omer

Dave Poole wrote:
"[H]omer" wrote:

Frankly, the Palm has been dead for months, but I've been 'in denial'
(as the Yanks say).

Here's what I suspect I did wrong:

1) ... Poor drainage. Should have mixed in some Perlite and/or sand.

Possibly - a lot of 'standard' composts can be lacking in this
respect. I always add about 10% by volume perlite to any compost -
just to be sure.

2) ... Over-watered. I didn't understand back then, that too much is bad.

Probably and this combined with the above.

Maybe it just died of old age.

No, they can go on for 50 years and more potted

Not a lot of consolation I'm afraid, but at least if you decide to get
a replacement you'll have a better chance of success.

Yeah, I have a standard 'mix' I use now for nearly all my potting:

Six double-handfuls of GP compost
Four double-handfuls of JI No3
Six single-handfuls of Perlite
Three single handfuls of Slow Release fertilizer

Depending on the plant, I might use compost and fertilizer designed for
ericaceous plants. I might also substitute some of the compost for sharp
sand for certain plants. That's it; so far all my plants love it.

I think I will buy a replacement Kentia Palm, just to prove a point -
and ease my conscience.

-
[H]omer