Old 20-04-2005, 02:37 AM
[H]omer

Default Howea forsteriana (Kentia Palm) life expectancy?

---long version---
Another sad story

First the Pin Oak that my (late) father grew from an acorn, now the
Kentia Palm that he gave to my mum on Mother's Day, the year I was born
(37 years ago).

The Pin Oak dying was my fault (if you remember from earlier postings -
I didn't water it for three years, because I thought that although it
was in a pot, it was outdoors, so it would be OK).

Frankly, the Palm has been dead for months, but I've been 'in denial'
(as the Yanks say).

Someone cheer me up and tell me it wasn't my fault ... please.

My mum told me it was pot-bound and I should re-pot it, so I did.

I used standard potting compost with just some gravel on the bottom inch
for drainage, and replaced the new pot in the same location (north
facing window in the dining room). It started dying almost immediately.
Three months later, it was dead.

Here's what I suspect I did wrong:

1) ... Poor drainage. Should have mixed in some Perlite and/or sand.
2) ... Over-watered. I didn't understand back then, that too much is bad.
3) ... Malnourished. Apparently Palms are notoriously fussy eaters.

Then again, maybe it died from the 'shock' of replanting (I hear trees
do that). Maybe it just died of old age.
---long version---

---short version---
So my question is, as a house-plant in the UK, what is the life
expectancy of a Kentia Palm?

Please tell me it's 37 years, so I can sleep easier at nights.
---short version---

Thanks,

-
[H]omer
Old 21-04-2005, 09:43 AM
JB

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:37:46 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

[...]

I have a pair of these at home which are in need of repotting or top
dressing. The plants seem healthy enough, if not happy, at present but
feel somewhat loose in the compost in the pots.

Any suggestions on which option is better and any tips on how to do
it?

JB

Old 22-04-2005, 12:34 AM
[H]omer

Dave Poole wrote:
"[H]omer" wrote:

Frankly, the Palm has been dead for months, but I've been 'in denial'
(as the Yanks say).

Here's what I suspect I did wrong:

1) ... Poor drainage. Should have mixed in some Perlite and/or sand.

Possibly - a lot of 'standard' composts can be lacking in this
respect. I always add about 10% by volume perlite to any compost -
just to be sure.

2) ... Over-watered. I didn't understand back then, that too much is bad.

Probably and this combined with the above.

Maybe it just died of old age.

No, they can go on for 50 years and more potted

Not a lot of consolation I'm afraid, but at least if you decide to get
a replacement you'll have a better chance of success.

Yeah, I have a standard 'mix' I use now for nearly all my potting:

Six double-handfuls of GP compost
Four double-handfuls of JI No3
Six single-handfuls of Perlite
Three single handfuls of Slow Release fertilizer

Depending on the plant, I might use compost and fertilizer designed for
ericaceous plants. I might also substitute some of the compost for sharp
sand for certain plants. That's it; so far all my plants love it.

I think I will buy a replacement Kentia Palm, just to prove a point -
and ease my conscience.

-
[H]omer