Old 22-04-2005, 01:59 PM

forsythia need to be whacked back, renewal pruning so there is fresh wood for
flowers. About 12 years ago I got fed up with my mothers forsythia "row" that wasnt
doing anything (despite being in the sun). I ordered 4 different varieties of
forsythia specific for our area (zone 5) and planted them and waited to see which one
did the best. One of them was superior in quality and quantity of flowering. that
one I propagated (they root sooo easily). In the meantime I removed the row of
forsythia that was there, I put rabbit fencing up along the entire line of new ones
(rabbit chewing newer wood results in little to no flowers), fertilized and mulched.
6 years ago I moved out and they were not pruned at all, but this year again they are
magnificent altho they are also totally out of control. Ingrid

Mark Anderson wrote:

This year my Forsythia had the most blooms in the over 12 years I've
lived here. When I moved here this bush was already over 10 years old so
its old. I've been struggling taming this bush for the last 7 years and
last year I got so frustrated with it I almost chopped the entire bush
down. Then I went to google to figure out how to prune it. Paghat's
site was in the first page of links when I used "pruning forsythia" as
keywords. I learned to just let the bush be and do nothing. This spring
it has the most flowers I have ever seen. Here's a pic:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/forsythia.jpg

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE