Old 22-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Sacha

On 22/4/05 11:06, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

From another thread Charlie Pridham
writes

Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects the
flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but they
certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant be
ripping them out just yet!)

If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
and two that complement each other would be really good.

You can grow Clematis through hedges, Janet - I'm sure Charlie will
recommend which are best but my fil had Mde. Le Coultre going through
Camellias in his Camellia Walk and as it flowered after they did, the effect
was spectacular and confusing to the unwary! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk