Old 22-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Clematis recommendation?

From another thread Charlie Pridham
writes

Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects the
flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but they
certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant be
ripping them out just yet!)

If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
and two that complement each other would be really good.

Janet

Posting on UK.rec.gardening newsgroup.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Sacha

On 22/4/05 11:06, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

From another thread Charlie Pridham
writes

Yes its the fighting for control, the constant cutting back that effects the
flowering, my officinal 'Affine' flowers well as does stephanense but they
certainly occupy their space (although I grow clematis in them so I shant be
ripping them out just yet!)

If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
and two that complement each other would be really good.

You can grow Clematis through hedges, Janet - I'm sure Charlie will
recommend which are best but my fil had Mde. Le Coultre going through
Camellias in his Camellia Walk and as it flowered after they did, the effect
was spectacular and confusing to the unwary! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
| Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
| not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
| know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
| across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
| something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
| and two that complement each other would be really good.

C. alpina and C. macropetala don't get out of hand and can be cut
back to the ground (if needed) immediately after flowering. With
3+ metres, you could just let them rip, and remove old growth every
now and then. This would allow you to plant any later clematis,
all of which can be cut back hard in winter.

But how warm and sunny is it? If significantly so, do consider
Campsis x tagliabuana.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
From another thread Charlie Pridham
[...]

Ones that have done well in adversity for me are, Abundance, Alba Luxurians,
Sodertalje, Prince Charles, Minuet, Madam Julia Correvon, Margot Koster,
Vanessa & Huldine (both later) and of course Polish Spirit. There are loads
more! I like these because you can cut them away in winter and the window of
opportunity for doing so is from November to late April. Plus they flower on
mass in the summer (late summer in the case of Huldine and Vanessa) and
never affect the flowering of what ever they are growing on. Nick has
suggested the Alpina sorts but they for me don't perform as well, seeming to
not like our soggy winters (although I have a few and like them)
Do try, you will find as I have that Clematis perform much better through
plants than on fences anyway.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

You can grow Clematis through hedges, Janet - I'm sure Charlie will
recommend which are best but my fil had Mde. Le Coultre going through
Camellias in his Camellia Walk and as it flowered after they did, the effect
was spectacular and confusing to the unwary! ;-)

Well Hawthorn needs cutting twice a year Sacha so I didn't think that
clematis would be feasible. I generally cut late may and again in late
September. If it would take a clematis what about the competition at
soil level?

Janet

Old 23-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

But how warm and sunny is it? If significantly so, do consider
Campsis x tagliabuana.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick but I would prefer something a little more delicate,
otherwise it just looks very blowsy on the front of the wall. It is very
warm as we have Tarmacadam driveway and it isn't shaded in the slightest
and the flue for the gas boiler comes out at that point so it's warm all
the time. I wanted to train it across the top of the garage as we have a
diagonal sloping roof above the garage up to the top of the house (if
you see what I mean) That space is just crying out for #decoration' but
Lonicera was too woody after two or three years and stood out too far
from the actual bricks.

Janet
(sorry to be picky)

Old 23-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Ones that have done well in adversity for me are, Abundance, Alba Luxurians,
Sodertalje, Prince Charles, Minuet, Madam Julia Correvon, Margot Koster,
Vanessa & Huldine (both later) and of course Polish Spirit. There are loads
more! I like these because you can cut them away in winter and the window of
opportunity for doing so is from November to late April. Plus they flower on
mass in the summer (late summer in the case of Huldine and Vanessa) and
never affect the flowering of what ever they are growing on. Nick has
suggested the Alpina sorts but they for me don't perform as well, seeming to
not like our soggy winters (although I have a few and like them)
Do try, you will find as I have that Clematis perform much better through
plants than on fences anyway.

What about slug-resistant ones? I want to get some alpinas in the garden
for the early flowers, but I've failed completely in the past because of
slugs chewing the new shoots as soon as they appear. I've now got two
growing in the greenhouse that I'm going to try and plant out when they
are about 6ft and hopefully less attractive to slugs.

Montana, orientalis, armandii, jouiana all do OK, but they're all late
(except armandii), and I don't prune any of them, so they have high up
growth on tough stems. And I have an integrifolia which has now made it
into the top of a rowan and is beginning to take off. But I really would
like to get some early ones settled.
--
Kay

Old 25-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

[...]

I use an "Slug Clear" (or aluminium sulphate) spray on a dry evening after
planting around the area, it slows them up long enough! for the clematis to
get going.

Do you really mean C. integrefolia? they are normally short 3'ish herbaceous
plants.

Old 25-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Kay" wrote in message

[...]

I guess I'll just have to give up the idea of early clematis, then. With
so many frogs, I don't like to have dying slugs around.

Do you really mean C. integrefolia? they are normally short 3'ish herbaceous
plants.

Obviously not, then! But I thought that was what it said on the seed
packet - It'll be interesting to see what it really is.
--
Kay

Old 25-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Kay" wrote in message

I use an "Slug Clear" (or aluminium sulphate) spray on a dry evening

after
planting around the area, it slows them up long enough! for the clematis

get going.

I guess I'll just have to give up the idea of early clematis, then. With
so many frogs, I don't like to have dying slugs around.

Do you really mean C. integrefolia? they are normally short 3'ish

herbaceous
plants.

Obviously not, then! But I thought that was what it said on the seed
packet - It'll be interesting to see what it really is.
--
Kay

Keep us posted re mystery Clematis :~) and as an alternative to treating for
slugs try planting new clematis into 10lt pots and growing on for a year
before planting out to their final positions usually able to fend for
themselves by that stage.

Old 25-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I use an "Slug Clear" (or aluminium sulphate) spray on a dry evening

after
planting around the area, it slows them up long enough! for the clematis

get going.

I guess I'll just have to give up the idea of early clematis, then. With
so many frogs, I don't like to have dying slugs around.

Do you really mean C. integrefolia? they are normally short 3'ish

herbaceous
plants.

Obviously not, then! But I thought that was what it said on the seed
packet - It'll be interesting to see what it really is.
--

Keep us posted re mystery Clematis :~)

Will do.

and as an alternative to treating for
slugs try planting new clematis into 10lt pots and growing on for a year
before planting out to their final positions usually able to fend for
themselves by that stage.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. But my only slug-free area is the
greenhouse, so it's not ideal.
--
Kay

Old 26-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

You can grow Clematis through hedges, Janet - I'm sure Charlie will
recommend which are best but my fil had Mde. Le Coultre going through
Camellias in his Camellia Walk and as it flowered after they did, the

effect
was spectacular and confusing to the unwary! ;-)

Well Hawthorn needs cutting twice a year Sacha so I didn't think that
clematis would be feasible. I generally cut late may and again in late
September. If it would take a clematis what about the competition at
soil level?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

If you can get a clematis through the initial few months it has a root
system designed to cope with competition and will have no trouble out
competing a hawthorn hedge, the mistake most people make is that it will get
going without their help, but the initial root ball is simply not big
enough, so you either have to grow on in a larger container or give some
assistance especially if the plants you are growing into are already well
established.
For may September hedge cutting, two you could try would be Etoile Violette
and Margot Koster, although its late to prune them, its ok for these two as
they will still flower by late June (Normally early May for me, despite hard
pruning in February) and will be over by September. if the season is fair
you may even get some autumn flowers in October :~)