Old 22-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| If you had a south facing wall on which to plant a couple of clematis's
| Charlie, which would you go for? Never having grown any as I have hedges
| not fences and only the front of the house to train a plant, I don't
| know my clematis very well. The plants can go up the wall and also
| across the top of the garage door and up to the eaves but I would like
| something I can keep within bounds. I would prefer NOT to have montana
| and two that complement each other would be really good.

C. alpina and C. macropetala don't get out of hand and can be cut
back to the ground (if needed) immediately after flowering. With
3+ metres, you could just let them rip, and remove old growth every
now and then. This would allow you to plant any later clematis,
all of which can be cut back hard in winter.

But how warm and sunny is it? If significantly so, do consider
Campsis x tagliabuana.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.