Old 22-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Berti Ferranti

Alan Walker schrieb:
Berti: As Jim says, growing bonsai from seed requires vast
patience.
Aside from that, however, wrapping the seeds in clingwrap
(I presume you mean plastic wrap from the kitchen) to create "a
sort of greenhouse effect" is probably fatal. A common problem
with seedlings is damping off, and this "greenhouse effect" is
keeping them moist and anaerobic, just the right conditions for
fungi to decimate the seeds. A good greenhouse has excellent
ventilation. Your clingwrap could not.
Alan Walker

The seeds themselves are - of course - NOT wrapped. The guide said to
put the wrap over the pots. There are however holes in the wrap through
which the seeds can "breathe". I don't think I want to go as far as
building an actual greenhouse in my bedroom...

What do you mean by "vast" patience? According to the guide, it should
take no more than ten weeks for them to sprout. Sure, it'll take some
time before they look like something. But I'm not gonna die anytime
soon. It's just more personal that way.

Berti